List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1185929

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE, LOW DINSDALE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DarlingtonUnitary AuthorityLow Dinsdale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350452

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOW DINSDALE LOW DINSDALE NZ 31 SW (West side, off)

8/49 The Manor House 6/6/52 II*

Manor house. Probably late medieval core; encased and extended c.1876. Rubble core; applied timbering on south face and east gable end; additions on north in large red bricks (stretcher bond); rubble porch and lean-to additions. Fish-scale clay tiles on main block and north face additions; stone flags on porch; Welsh slates on lean-to additions: Ornamental brick chimney stacks. Medieval main block with C17 west bay; c.1876 east bay; 2 cross-gabled c.1876 wings, with single-storey linking range between, added on north; former porch on west return of west wing.

2-storey main block. 3-bay medieval core has 1.0 to 1.5-metre thick walls and added east and west bays; applied timbering with pebble-dashed brick infill panels. 6 scattered single- and 2-light windows on each floor, all replaced casements, some with splayed rear arches. Steeply-pitched roof with C20 dormer at east, raised verge with stone kneelers at west and crested ridge tiles: 2 ridge stacks; east stack marks original gable end. 3 single-storey lean-to additions on east gable end. Two 2-light chamfered-mullioned windows on west gable end. North (entrance) front: two 2-storey cross-gabled wings with steeply-pitched roofs; taller east wing has attic. Single-storey range between wings has studded door and a low-pitched-pent roof. Mainly 2- and 3- light late C19 wood-mullioned windows with iron casements. Former porch has possibly re-set hollow-chamfered semicircular archway with inserted C19 2-light window. Tall lateral chimneys with ornamental octagonal stacks.

Interior greatly altered c.1876. Imported bolection-moulded stone chimney- piece against east gable end has relief of 2 scaly fishes on frieze. Several ground-floor rooms with chamfered ceiling beams; woodwork brought from Bristol Cathedral including medieval choir stalls, panelling dated 1689 and 1733, part of a Baroque organ case in entrance hall, C18 box pews used as dadoes, etc. Possibly late medieval heraldic stained glass in room behind porch.

The Manor House stands inside a double-moated enclosure and was the home of the Surtees family from the early C12 until the C19.

Listing NGR: NZ3462411009

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 34624 11009

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 09:48:07.