List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1185897

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
DarlingtonUnitary AuthorityBishopton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 350376

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BISHOPTON HIGH STREET NZ 3621 (East side)

13/18 Church of St. Peter 20/3/67

II

Parish church. Probably C13; largely rebuilt and north aisle and tower added 1846-7 by Sharp and Paley. Coursed sandstone rubble with C19 red sandstone dressings; dressed limestone late medieval east bay of chancel; graduated green slate roofs. Tower on west end of north aisle; nave with north aisle; chancel with north organ chamber (former vestry). Mid C19 lancets and Geometrical traceried windows.

3-stage, diagonally-buttressed tower: polygonal stair turret on south-west corner; pointed windows and 2-light bell openings; medieval grave-slab fragment and cusped niche built into west face; embattled parapet. Mid C19 buttresses on nave and chancel. 3-bay nave: chamfered plinth; 3-light window in diagonally- buttressed west end; mainly 2-light windows, medieval grave slab and large diamond-shaped wall sundial (dated 1776 and inscribed FUGIT HORA) on south; steep roof with coped gables. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel with lancets: 2 dedication crosses and 3 stepped lancets on diagonally-buttressed east end; steep roof with coped east gable. North aisle has mid C19 shouldered doorway and pent roof. Organ chamber has low-pitched pent roof.

Plain, plastered interior. In nave: C13 font (octagonal bowl on cylindrical stem) with C17 wood steeple cover; 1811 Hutchinson wall monument on south; mid C19 3-bay north arcade of double-chamfered pointed arches on cylindrical piers. Tall, chamfered mid C19 chancel arch; an original C13 trefoil-headed lancet in wall to north of arch. 1889 Caen stone and marble reredos. Mid C19 roofs: nave with 4 braced-collar trusses; chancel with 2 similar trusses.

Listing NGR: NZ3652121247

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 36521 21247

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 09:08:27.