List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1185719

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityCopston Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308875

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COPSTON MAGNA SP48NE 5/9 Church of St. John 06/10/60 - II

Church. 1849. Granite rubble with limestone dressings. Chancel and vestry have plain-tile roofs; nave and porch have C20 cement tile roofs. Coped gable parapets; chancel has twin gablet kneelers; nave and porch have moulded kneelers. Chancel, nave, south-west porch, south-east vestry. Gothic Revival early C14 style. 2-bay chancel; 4-bay nave. Chancel has buttresses of 2 offsets flush with east wall. East window of 3 lights has bar tracery, splay sill course and hood mould with head stops. Bar tracery throughout. South side has one and north side has 2 trefoiled western lancets. All windows have hood moulds with return stops. Vestry has pitched roof with octagonal pinnacle to gable. Trefoiled lancets, paired to east and single to south. Chamfered west doorway with plank door. Nave has western angle and side buttresses. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Doorway has nook shafts, arch of 2 moulded orders and hood mould with head stops. Doorway of 2 moulded orders inside. Plank door. Two 2-light windows to south and 3 to north; trefoiled lancets. West front has central buttress. Two 2-light windows. Gable has sexfoil window. West bellcote has gable and chamfered trefoiled arch. Interior is plastered. Arched-brace roofs. Chancel roof is moulded and has stone angel corbels. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal responds and moulded capitals. Hood mould with head stops. Fittings: painted metal Commandment boards to left and right of chancel arch. Traceried stone pulpit. Octagonal stone font. Original pews. Stained glass: east window 1887 by Edward Swinfen Harris. The church was built as a chapel of ease to Monks Kirby. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, p.180; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.243).

Listing NGR: SP4519688420

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 243

National Grid Reference: SP 45196 88420

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2014 at 10:49:09.