List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1185710

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, QUEEN'S STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityHalford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305869

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HALFORD QUEEN'S STREET SP2545 (West side) 6/106 Church of St. Mary 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Mary)

GV II*

Church. C12 and C13, much restored in 1862 and 1883. Regular coursed ironstone rubble. Steeply pitched tile roof. Stone coped gables. Ironstone quoins. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south-west tower. Chancel. Renewed 2-light lancets to north and south, renewed 3-light east window with cusped heads and quatrefoils. Nave. An unusual 3-light lancet to north in sandstone with repairs in limestone. C19 hood mould and label stop. Small Romanesque window with renewed stonework. Decorated west window of 3 lights with cusped heads and hood mould. North doorway. Romanesque. Tympanum shows one of the earlierst known examples of a half-length figure. Gabled porch with round headed entrances. South aisle. Romanesque south doorway badly weathered. C20 plank door. To right a 3-light Decorated window with hood mould and label stops. Similar east window. South-west tower: 3 stages. Lancets to ground and first floors. Pairs of lancets to bell-stage. Embattled parapet with finials. Interior: Romanesque chancel arch with C12 niche to right. Chancel has C19 roof supported on foliated corbels. Squint in west wall. Renewed 3-bay south arcade. C14 octagonal stone font with carved oak cover. Monuments in chancel to Francis wife of George Granger d. April 14, 1674, and Mary and Anthony Apperley d.1783 and 1799. Marble wall tablet in nave to Mary Plumb d. 1763. Romanesque north doorway noted as the finest in the county. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, 1981, p.303). (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol. V, 1949, pp90-92).



Listing NGR: SP2588145615

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 90-92
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgewood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1981 - Page References: 303

National Grid Reference: SP 25881 45615

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Oct-2014 at 03:15:36.