List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1185674

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityLong Itchington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307163

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LONG ITCHINGTON CHURCH ROAD SP4165 (South side) 10/32 Church of the Holy Trinity 30/05/67

GV II*

Church. Late C12/early C13, early C14 and C15. Restored 1928. Coursed lias rubble interspersed with sandstone blocks, with sandstone plinth, buttresses, quoins and eaves cornice. Plain-tile and C20-tile roofs. Chancel, nave with south aisle and west tower, the spire mostly blown down in 1762. Early C14 chancel of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, moulded string course below window sills and cross at apex to east. Restored east window of 5 ogee-headed lights with intersecting and quatrefoil tracery. Hood mould with C14 carved head labels. Three C14 windows to south, those to left and right each of 3 restored lights. 3-light window to centre with Y-tracery. C14 doorway below centre window of 2 moulded orders and pointed-arch head. C20 plank door. Three C14 windows to south, each of 3 lights, those to left and right with Y-tracery, that to centre with cusped lights. C19/C20 stone gabled vestry with doorway to west and re-used C14 window to north of 3 ogee-headed lights with reticulated tracery, ovolo-moulded surround and hood mould with carved head labels. Early C14 nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, offset buttresses, moulded eaves cornice and C19/C20 coped gables. To left and right a C14 window with moulded and chamfered surrounds. Each window of 3 lights, the mullions continuing up to meet arch, without heads. C19/C20 window to centre of 2 cusped lights and trefoil tracery. C19/C20 stone gabled porch, the doorway of 2 orders on shafts with moulded capitals and bases. Single-light window to east and west. Within the C14 doorway with many-moulded pointed-arch surround with hood mould and labels. Original iron hinges remain. C20 double plank doors. C15 clerestory to north and south of 3 and 4 square-headed windows, each of 2 ogee-headed cusped lights. Early C13 south aisle of 4 bays with moulded eaves cornice with one gargoyle remaining. Early C14 window to east of 3 lights and Y tracery. Further early C14 window to right of east wall of 2 lights and Y tracery. Early C13 pointed lancets to left and centre, and to west. Round-headed south doorway of 2 moulded orders, the inner continuing to ground and the outer supported on shafts with moulded capitals. Iron hinges remain. C20 double plank doors. West tower with offset diagonal buttresses rising to top, chamfered plinth and moulded eaves cornice with damaged gargoyles. Embattled parapet with finials at angles. To west a pointed-arched window of 2 cusped lights and cusped tracery. Immediately above window, continuing around to north a C14 band of sunk quatrefoils. Loop-lights to all 4 sides, that to east now within nave. Bell-chamber openings of 2 mullioned and transomed lights within segmental pointed heads. Truncated octagonal spire. Interior: east window has moulded rere-arch and hood mould with labels. C14 doorway now leads to vestry. C14 sedilia to south of 3 stepped seats within cusped arches and crocketed gable with poppy-head finials. C14 double piscina to left within 2 cusped lights and trefoil within tympanum. C14 Easter sepulchre to north within cusped arch of 3 moulded orders and crocketed gable with poppy head to apex and finials to either side. Moulded string course runs beneath window sills. C14 chancel arch of 3 shafts with moulded responds. Cusped squint to right South aisle arcade of 3 bays, but originally 4, that to west blocked C15. Octagonal shafts with moulded bases and capitals. 2 tomb recesses on south wall with elongated cusps within many-moulded surrounds. Simple cusped piscina towards east. Pointed tower arch of 2 orders, with C14 band of sunk quatrefoils above. C19/C20 king post roof to chancel, and haafierbeam nave roof supported on C15 carved head corbels. C19/C20. aisle roof supported on C14 carved head corbels to south. Late C17 communion rail with turned balusters. Restored screen with C14/C15 cusped tracery supported on later shafts. Monument in north chancel wall to John Baswork who died 1674; an inscribed brass with surround of 2 Corinthian capitals supporting a cornice and semi-circular broken pediment. C19 monument in north nave and south aisle walls. Also on south aisle wall a wood panel painted with heraldic arms, hour-glasses and skull and cross bones, recording the bequest of Lady Anne Holbourne of 50 pounds per annum to the parish priests and parish poor. Probably C17. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.129; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.343).

Listing NGR: SP4119365122

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 129
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 343

National Grid Reference: SP 41193 65122

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 05:24:41.