List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1185612

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireRugbyDistrict AuthorityStretton-on-Dunsmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308838

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRETTON ON DUNSMORE CHURCH HILL SP47SW (South side) 5/52 Church of All Saints 06/10/60

GV II*

Church. 1835-1837 by Thomas Rickman at the expense of Reverend William Clarke. Limestone ashlar. Roofs hidden by crenellated nave and moulded aisle parapets. Tall narrow chancel and aisled nave in one, west tower, east vestries. Gothic Revival style. One-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Moulded splayed plinth. Buttresses of 4 offsets. Nave and chancel have angle buttresses rising into short square pinnacles with caps. 5-light east window has geometrical tracery and hood mould with head stops, swelling out at apex to enclose a quatrefoil opening, and surmounted with finial. Aisles have diagonal buttresses. 2-light aisle and exceptionally tall chancel windows have curvilinear tracery. Clerestory has round windows with alternating geometrical and curvilinear tracery. Hood moulds throughout have foliage stops. Low vestries in angles have traceried straight-headed 2-light east windows. North-east vestry has segmental-arched north door and brattished parapet. South-east vestry has moulded parapet. West front has tall central tower of 3 stages with full-height angle buttresses, moulded parapet and remains of pinnacles. Decorated style portal has piers with blind tracery and gablets, and large crocketed gable with finial. Doorway of 3 moulded orders. Double-leaf glazed doors have cast-iron Gothic tracery. North side has 2 small lancets, south side has straight-headed traceried window. String courses. Second stage has lancet with mouchettes to all sides, and clock face with hood mould to north. Third stage has tall 2-light bell openings with crocketed ogee hood moulds. West fronts of aisles have trefoiled lancet and round window above with geometrical and curvilinear tracery to north and south respectively. Lean-to roofs. Interior is plastered. 2-storey porch inside tower has 2 tiers of chamfered arches, forming open arcade to first floor, and balcony with cast-iron Gothic tracery balustrade. Plaster ribbed ceiling. Double-leaf doors to church. Charities board above outer doors. The church has plaster quadripartite rib vaulting throughout, with wall shafts and foliage corbels. Shallow raised chancel has stone panelling with blind reticulated tracery to sill height. The taller canted angles have crocketed gables and cinqfoiled arches with paintings of 1920 to the left and 1918 to the right. North and south sides have sedile with attached shafts and cusped stilted segmental arches. Arcades have stone piers with half-shafts and hexagonal bases, and arches of 2 moulded orders. Clerestory has panels of blind Perpendicular tracery below the windows. All windows have hood moulds. West gallery of stone runs the full width of the church and is entirely independent of the arcades. It stands on a 7-bay arcade of moulded stilted segmental arches with octagonal shafts. Gallery front has blind quatrefoil frieze. Large moulded blind tower arch. Fittings: stone reading desk and pulpit have castellated turrets, with blind tracery, blind Perpendicular tracery panels and lecterns on carved brackets. Polygonal pulpit has large moulded and carved round base. Octagonal stone font below gallery has cinqfoiled ogee niches, shafts and buttresses. Aisles retain some box pews. Stained glass: chancel south window has a C17 panel of Christ at Emmaus, with tabernacle work of c.1840. Monuments: chancel south: Reverend William Daniel Clarke 1817, vicar, who 'provided for reconstruction of the church'. Sarcophagus with religious still-life. Signed J. Bacon and S. Manning. South aisle east: Samuel Taylor 1752. Marble. Open pediment on brackets, and eared panel. The church is virtually unaltered and complete. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.243-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.420-421).

Listing NGR: SP4069172522

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1951 - Volume: 6 - Page References: 243-244
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgewood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1981 - Page References: 420-421

National Grid Reference: SP 40691 72522

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:24:19.