List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES AT MEREVALE HALL

List entry Number: 1185536

Location

STABLE BLOCK AND ATTACHED FORECOURT WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES AT MEREVALE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireNorth WarwickshireDistrict AuthorityMerevale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 309229

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEREVALE MEREVALE PARK SP29NE 1/136 Stable block and attached 01/11/59 forecourt walls, gatepiers and gates at Merevale Hall GV II* Stable block and attached forecourt walls, gatepiers and gates. Designed originally by Edward Blore between 1835 and 1842, but probably largely by Henry Clutton after 1842. Regular coursed sandstone. Slate roofs have moulded cornices and embattled parapets and gable parapets; stone internal and ridge stacks. U-plan, adjoining Merevale Hall (q.v.), but the buildings together with walls form a courtyard. 2 storeys; entrance front of 3-1-1-1-3 bays. High splay plinth, buttresses and angle buttresses. Projecting central bay has large angle piers and chamfered segmental arch on paired large shield corbels. Coped gable parapet has embattled kneelers with ball finials. Within the outer arch is a large chamfered and moulded arch, with shaped shield panel and 2 small lights above. Segmental arched studded and panelled gates. Plastered 4-centred vault has moulded stone ribs. Flanking bays have small 2-light chamfered mullioned windows, with transoms to ground floor. Embattled internal stacks in angles. Outer 3 bays are set back, and have blind slit windows. On the left return side the site falls away steeply. The rear wing has a 2-tier 13-bay arcade, mostly blind, of segmental-pointed arches to the building and the retaining wall below. Right return side has 2 ground-floor cross-windows and a window above. Rear wing of 9 bays with buttresses and blind slit windows to the forecourt. To the courtyard above the archway is a trefoiled arched panel with coat of arms and small adjoining lights. Small square embattled clock tower to left, of 3 stages with moulded string courses. Ground floor has slit window; second stage has 2-light window with hood mould continued as string course to left; top stage has clock face in square panel with hood mould surround and head stops. To left is a slightly projecting doorway with chamfered jambs, corbelling and segmental pointed arch. Windows to left and above. Buttress to right of arch. Chamfered segmental pointed arched doorway with plank door. Single light to right, and 2-light casement above. Windows throughout have chamfered surrounds and many glazing bars. Left wing is coach houses. Right wing has varied openings, some altered. Interiors not inspected. Attached forecourt walls of varying heights have stone coping. Chamfered gatepiers with ball finials. Large cast iron gates have armorial cartouches. Large gatepier to right has chamfered angle piers, halved Ionic capitals, and lantern. Low wall at right angles to rear extends to gateway with moulded Tudor arch in straight head with sunk spandrels, iron gate and coped top. Forecourt wail runs from this gateway back to the porch of the house. (Merevale gardens are included in HBMCE Register of Parks and Gardens at grade II; Mark Girouard: 'Merevale Hall' Country Life; 13th and 20th March 1969, pp598-60, and 662-665; Mark Girouard: The Victorian Country House; pp65-67)

Listing NGR: SP2953397289

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Girouard, M, The Victorian Country House, (1971)
'Country Life' in 20 March, (1969), 65-7
'Country Life' in 13 March, (1969), 598-60
Other
Part 42 Warwickshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 29533 97289

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 09:46:32.