List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LOWER OLD HALL AND LOWER OLD HALL COTTAGE

List entry Number: 1184892

Location

LOWER OLD HALL AND LOWER OLD HALL COTTAGE, NORLAND TOWN ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CalderdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 339289

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE NORLAND TOWN ROAD SE 0622-0722 (north side), Norland 16/147 Lower Old Hall and Lower 15.11.66 Old Hall Cottage - II* House, rear wing now separate cottage. 1634 for George Taylor. Coursed squared stone, stone slate roof. T-shaped; 2 storeys, 3 gabled bays, right one with base- ment; central rear wing. Left bay set forward; 2-storey porch between right-hand bays. Chamfered plinth; double-chamfered mullion and transom windows; continuous moulded string. Left bay: a 6-light window with king mullion to each floor, upper one having hoodmould with rounded terminals flanked by letters 'G' 'T'. Central bay: 9-light window with 8-light window under dripmould above, both with king mullions. Porch: moulded Tudor-arched doorway with lintel dated '1634' GET (George and Elizabeth Taylor) and with 3 wool sacks; flanking columns have kinked fluting and bases with lozenges and support entablature; above, a moulded pedestal and 3-light window under dripmould flanked by gutter spouts; parapet gabled over window, (as at Fallingworth Hall (qv));on first floor of left return a trefoil light and of right return a chamfered light; inside, stone benches and moulded Tudor-arched inner door- way. Right bay: basement (possibly originally a wool shop) has steps down to Tudor arched doorway on left of 3-light window; single-chamfered 3-light ground floor window; above, a 5-light-window under hoodmould with heart stops and date '16' '34'. Gables have moulded coping and finials. Corniced stack to ridge of left bay and double one between right-hand bays. Rear: main range: plinth and string continued. Left bay has a 2-light window, right bay a 2-light window to left of 3-light window, now door, with a 2-light and 3-light window above. Right return: plinth and string continued. In gable of main range a small double-chamfered light to first floor. Wing, from left: an ogee-arched doorway; an inserted doorway; a 6-light window (2 mullions removed); a blocked inserted doorway. On first floor an inserted window; a gutter spout, and a 5-light window (2 mullions removed). Stack to right end. Attached barn on right; converted to house not of interest. Interior: central house body: the main feature is the Tudor-arched moulded ashlar fireplace with Carolean baluster-like motifs under stylised heads to jambs, heavily-moulded cornice, frieze reading 'FEARE'GOD HONOUR THE KINGE', moulded cornice and elaborate plaster overmantel with royal arms and wording 'DIEU ET MON DRO IT 1635 T G E' flanked by caryatids under grotesque heads, cherubs and the arms of the Bishops of Cantebury and Earls of Derby. Also noteworthy are the 5 Tudor-arched and basket-arched chamfered door- ways and two 6-panel doors with linenfold panelling; the frieze on two walls with cherubs, pregnant women over lions' heads and pomegranates; and the stop-chamfered spine-beams and moulded joists. In the left-hand room (parlour) are a square-headed fireplace with deep moulded lintel, the Royal arms (initialled (CR'), the Derby arms and other motifs above it, and stop-chamfered moulded spine-beams and joists. The room behind this (service room) has stop-chamfered spine-beams and joists. Stone stair. In Lower Old Hall Cottage (the kitchen) a large chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace. On first floor (of Hall) a stop-chamfered doorway to rear wing (blocked) and 2 other doorways, into the front left room which has a small Tudor-arched moulded fireplace with plasterwork of pomegranate tree above, and into the central room which has a chamfered Tudor-arched fireplace. Roof timbers not visible except for base of purlins. L Ambler, The Old Halls and Manor House of Yorkshire, 1913. H P Kendall, 'Ancient Halls of Norland', Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 2, 1904, pp 93-111 RCHM(E) report (31464).

Listing NGR: SE0693122973

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Date: 1904 - Page References: 93-111
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Ambler, L - Title: The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire - Date: 1913
  3. Other  Reference - Date: 1904 - Page References: 93-111 - Type: DESC TEXT

National Grid Reference: SE 06931 22973

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2014 at 06:22:07.