List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRETTON HALL INCLUDING ATTACHED ORANGERY TO WEST

List entry Number: 1184808

Location

BRETTON HALL INCLUDING ATTACHED ORANGERY TO WEST, PARK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WakefieldMetropolitan AuthorityWest Bretton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Jun-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 342578

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE21SE WEST BRETTON PARK ROAD (south side, off)

8/82 14.2.52 Bretton Hall including attached orangery to west. GV II*

Large country house, now college. Circa 1720, 1780s, 1811-14 and c.1852. The south range c.1720 by Sir William Wentworth and Col. James Moyser for Sir William Wentworth himself. The north range 1780s by William Lindley of Doncaster, the linking block and remodelling of the south range (ie the south bow and the east portico) 1811-14 by Jeffry Wyatt for Col. Thomas Richard and Diana Beaumont, the projecting dining room on the east front added c.1852 probably by Thomas Richardson for Thomas Blackett Beaumont. Ashlar, the roof hidden behind parapet. 9-bay by 5-bay main, south range with a 3-bay link block to north which extends westwards and terminates in the orangery, and a 7-bay north range. The main elevations face east. 3-storey main range, the rest 2 storeys. The south range: symmetrical front with central, Greek Doric tetrastyle portico, 12-pane ground and 1st-floor sashes, the former with triangular pediments, the latter with small cornices. Short 2nd floor windows with later casements. Plinth and bands to lower floors. Two ornamental rainwater heads bearing the Wentworth shield. Modillion eaves cornice, and balustraded parapet. Eight tall, broad, symmetrically placed ashlar ornamental stacks. The south front has a 3-bay bow which has taller ground-floor windows the centre one formerly a doorway up 4 steps. The rear is similar to the front but more plain. The link block to the north is in keeping but with taller ground-floor windows and is separated by a recessed single bay. The north range: symmetrical front, the centre 3 bays marked by giant pilasters which support a pediment. Central, 8-panel double door, 12- pane sashes to ground floor 9-pane sashes to 1st floor. Frieze, cornice and blocking course. The tympanum has an enriched shield with the motto "FIDE SED CUI VIDE". The orangery at the rear, on a 2-step podium, is of 7 bays, the centre 3 breaking forward slightly, divided by square Tuscan piers supporting the frieze, moulded cornice and blocking course. Interior of south range: the entrance hall has a groin vaulted passage at the rear separated by 3 arches and the piers and walls have grisaille paintings of figures and trophies. The main staircase to the north of the hall has a fine wrought-iron handrail of 1920. To the west of this is the former billiard room and to east (front) the former breakfast room, both with Adam- style ceilings of c.1770. Interior of link range: excellent entrance vestibule with 4 piers (apparently encased cast-iron) supporting a glazed dome on pendentives. The walls are painted with C18-style Italianate architectural fantasies. The vestibule opens, at upper level, onto the half-landing of the main staircase (south range) whose walls have similar paintings. To the west of the vestibule is the former drawing room or tapestry room, with a heavy baroque ceiling with pendant bosses probably of c.1852. To the far west is the former library and the music room both in Regency style of c.1811-14. The latter has an apse for an organ and a delicate gently coved ceiling with rinceau decoration, panels, pilaster strips and a delicate marble fireplace with a huge mirror. The library is mainly altered. To the east of the vestibule is the former dining room (now conference room) in a heavy Rococo style of c.1852. The end walls are divided into 3 by Composite pilasters with a niche to each side and a central panel. Very elaborate marble fireplace decorated with vines and a central eagle with spread wings. Elaborate frieze with foliage, animals and Classical figures. The ceiling has panels with musical instruments. The buildings became used as Bretton College in 1947. N. Pevsner. The Buildings of England. 1967. D. Linstrum. West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture. 1978. Bretton College Archive. Country Life. May 21st 1938 p.530, May 28th 1938 p.554.

Listing NGR: SE2836612779

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967)
'Country Life' in 28 May, (1938), 554
'Country Life' in 21 May, (1938), 530
Other
Part 45 West Yorkshire,

National Grid Reference: SE 28366 12779

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 10:36:34.