List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES NORTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1184709

Location

GATEWAY APPROXIMATELY 25 METRES NORTH OF TOWER OF CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityChesterton and Kingston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 307049

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for

CHESTERTON & KINGSTON CHESTERTON SP35NE 5/55 Gateway approx. 25m N of tower of Church of St. Giles 07/01/52 GV II

The Gateway shall be upgraded to II* and the entry shall be amended to read:-

SP35NE CHESTERTON & KINGSTON CHESTERTON

5/55 Gateway approx. 25m N of tower of Church of St. Giles 07/01/52

GV II*

Gateway. Probably 1630's. For Sir Edward Peyto and copy of a design by Inigo Jones. English bond red brick with moulded, cut and rubbed brick. Classical style. Round arch with keyblock, pilasters, entablature and pediment. Pilasters, wall, and arch have intermittent rustication. It is likely that this gateway was built at about the same time as Chesterton Windmill (q.v.). It is a close copy, at about three-quarters scale, of one of the two churchyard gateways flanking Jones' St Paul, Covent Garden, of 1631, see Vitruvius Britannicus (ii, 1717, pl 21-2).

(VCH: Warwickshire. Vol 5. p.42; Buildings of England, Warwickshire, p.230).

------------------------------------

CHESTERTON AND KINGSTON CHESTERTON SP35NE 5/55 07/01/52 Gateway approx. 25m N of tower of Church of St. Giles

GV II

Gateway. c.1650 - 1660. Possibly designed by John Stone. English bond red brick, with moulded, cut and rubbed brick. Classical style. Round arch with keyblock. Pilasters, entablature and pediment. Pilasters, wall and arch have intermittent rustication. Pediment has C20 tiles. The gateway is all that remains of Chesterton House, demolished in 1802. V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.42; Buildings of England; Warwickshire, p.230).

Listing NGR: SP3567258258

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Vitruvius Britannicus - Date: 1725 - Journal Title: Vitruvius Britannicus - Volume: 2
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 42
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 230

National Grid Reference: SP 35672 58258

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2014 at 10:42:32.