List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1183981

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WINTERSLOW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityIdmiston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 319982

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

IDMISTON WINTERSLOW ROAD, Porton SU 13 NE 3/90 Church of St Nicholas 18.2.58 II

Anglican parish church. 1876-7, by J.L. Pearson. Flint with brick dressings. Tiled roofs. Nave, chancel with vestry at right angles, south porch. Nave has 2-light Decorated style windows, 3-light to east end of chancel. Short 3-light gable window to vestry. Mid wall string, stepping up under east and west windows. Gable crosses. Bellcote with double openings and crocketed gable over west end of nave. Porch has open trussed rafter roof. Boarded inner door. Interior: nave of 3 bays, with tie beams and facetted barrel vault. Walls rendered, with bowtell string at base of window embrasures Wide chancel arch. Chancel has panelled vault. Piscina on north wall, sedilia with nook shafts on south. Oak reredos. Fittings: font. C15 and reset. Octagonal bowl with trefoil headed panels, and varied fleurons below. Pulpit of oak on stone base. Sanctuary rail an oak pole on iron supports. Monuments: one wall tablet of 1840 by Soper of Sarum, and two C20 brasses. West window glass of 1893. C17 arm chair in sanctuary. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU1902236500

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

National Grid Reference: SU 19022 36500

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 03:57:58.