List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WATER PAVILION AT CARSHALTON HOUSE

List entry Number: 1183926

Location

WATER PAVILION AT CARSHALTON HOUSE, POUND STREET
WATER PAVILION AT CARSHALTON HOUSE, WEST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySuttonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Mar-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1974

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206806

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST STREET 1. 4430 (West Side) CARSHALTON Water Pavilion at Carshalton House TQ 2764 SE 20/163 16.3.54. II* GV 2. Early C18, completed before 1721, probably to the design of Henry Joynes. One storey, with a square tower 3 storeys high. Ground floor is brown brick, red rubber brick dressings. West front 1-3-1 old round-headed sash windows with stone keystones, the centre 3 in full height projection. Angle piers with stone bases and fluted capitals. Plain frieze, band-cornice, tall parapet and moulded stone capping. The tower rises at the rear of the centre of this front and has a large open round arch with keystone and cill on brackets to each face. At the corners and rising just to the springing level of these arches are attached piers with stone cornice tops supporting flaming vases. Segmental cut out frieze of brick to top of tower, brick and stone bands, and stone capped diminutive Flemish gable style crenellations. Ornamental pyramidal corner finials with ball tops. All fronts of tower similar, all fronts of ground floor similar, North front is short, but South front, an orangery, has a long range of windows. Entrance hall in centre of East front with Vanbrughian ceiling supported on pendentives and with dome, room to North is Bath Room with original marble lined plunge bath, the walls lined completely with blue and mauve Delft tiles. Pump chamber with brick piers and arches, water channel and wheel - the water flows beneath the building (formerly into the lake) and is then pumped up into a tank at the top of the tower to feed the house and bathroom etc; original wheel removed 1960.

The Water Pavilion at Carshalton House and boundary wall to Carshalton House in West Street form a group with Nos 3 to 11 (odd) and No 15 West Street with Nos 2 to 12 and 18 to 24 (even) West Street and with The Old Rectory, Festival Walk.

Listing NGR: TQ2771464483

Selected Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

National Grid Reference: TQ 27714 64483

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 05:56:52.