List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST.BARNABAS

List entry Number: 1183871

Location

CHURCH OF ST.BARNABAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WirralMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 27-Dec-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 215375

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEBINGTON CHURCH LANE SJ 38 SW (north side) Bromborough 6/56 Church of 27.12.62 St. Barnabas

G.V. II*

Church. 1862-4, steeple, 1880. By Sir Gilbert Scott. Stone with slate roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, chancel, south vestry and north east tower and broach spire. Early English style. Aisles have sill course and 2- light plate tracery windows with shafts and gablets. North and south gabled porches have clasping buttresses with nook shafts, and entrances of 2 orders. Clerestory has sexfoil windows; west end has 2 lancets and plate-tracery rose window. Chancel has round apsed end; moulded base, foliate impost band and dog-tooth cornice; 3 lancets and weathered buttresses. Tower has angle buttresses, 2-light windows, lancets above, and paired 2-light louvred bell openings, clock faces above. West canted stair turret. Lombard frieze and spire with hipped lucarnes. Vestry has large weathered buttresses, foliate cornice, east 2-light window and south blind arcade with 2 lancets. Interior: has arcades on octagonal piers with good carving to capitals. Roof has braced collared rafters. Most glass by Clayton and Bell, c.1870. Octagonal font on clustered shafts. Timber screens and stalls of 1900; octagonal timber pulpit on stone base. Chancel has 2-bay arcades set in giant arches with quatrefoils, organ loft to north. Sanctuary has trefoil blind arcading with diapered spandrels; reredos in form of relief of the Last Supper. East window by Ballantine and Son. 1863. A well-designed example of the work of Sir Gilbert Scott.

Listing NGR: SJ3491282222

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 34912 82222

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 11:03:30.