List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

List entry Number: 1183766

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityKinwarton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KINWARTON SP15NW 3/171 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 01/02/67

GV II*

Church. C12, largely rebuilt c.1316 (VCH); turret C16 or C17. Restored 1850. Limestone and lias, rubble and irregular coursed stone. Old tile roofs; weatherboarded turret with pyramid shingle roof. Nave and chancel without structural division, west bell turret and south porch. 4 bays. South doorway c.1316 with chamfered 2-centred arch and ancient ribbed door with lattice framed back. Lias and weatherboard porch c.1850. Chancel has low clasping buttresses and C19 three-light east window. North wall has single buttress between easternmost windows. From east: 2-light square headed window with C14 jambs and C16 or C17 head (VCH); C13 lancet; trefoiled lancet c.1316 (VCH); C19 window of two lancets in place of a doorway. South wall: 2-light Decorated window; small priests door with arched head, blocked internally but retaining old ribbed door; oak framed 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery, probably C16 replacement of earlier stone window (VCH); C19 two-light window. West end has low diagonal buttresses and half-gable with bell turret replacing apex. C19 two-light window. Interior: one-bay chancel divided from nave by screen. C19 queen strut roof. 2 sedilia in south window recess have shafts with moulded capitals and bases, stilted arches and hood moulds. Nave has C15 wagon roof (VCH) with slightly higher ridge and 2 moulded tie beams. Framing supporting turret: massive tie beam on jowled posts and braces, with C19 reinforcing of curved braces forming an arch, with struts. Fittings: font, possibly c.1316 but largely re-cut, has cup bowl on later cylindrical stem. Board and batten lid with original staples and iron rod fastening, probably early C17 (VCH). Mid Cl9 pulpit, screen and pews. C18 three tier brass chandelier. Stained glass: chancel south window has early C14 glass in tracery. Mid C19 east window by O'Connor, north west and south west by Charles Gibbs (Buildings of England). Chancel north late C19, with mark of Keape and Tower. Late C15 alabaster carving of 'The Presentation of the Virgin' on nave north wall. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire III, pp,127-128; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.328-329; Kelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire 1884, p.792).

Listing NGR: SP1052058370

Selected Sources

  1. Article  Reference - Title: Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire - Date: 1884 - Journal Title: Kellys Directory - Page References: 792 - Type:
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1945 - Volume: 3 - Page References: 127-128
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 328-329

National Grid Reference: SP 10523 58373

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 02:38:09.