List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST MARTIN'S CATHEDRAL

List entry Number: 1183725

Location

ST MARTIN'S CATHEDRAL, GUILDHALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of LeicesterUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:- GUILDHALL LANE SK 5804 SE SK 5804 SW (South Side) 3/48 St Martin's Cathedral 2/48 GV 5.1.50 C The grade shall be amended to read:-

GV II*

------------------------------------ GUILDHALL LANE 1. 5304 (South Side) SK 5804 SE 3/48 5.1.50 St Martin' Cathedral SK 5804 SW 2/48 GV 2. Parish Church of St Martin until 1927 when it became the Cathedral. From C12 to C15 but much altered and restored in C19. Large church comprising nave, chancel, chancel chapels, north and south aisles, outer south aisle, west crossing tower and spire, north and south porches. Mid C13 north and south arcades, outer south arcade C13/l4. C13 north doorway. C15 lengthening of nave. The crossing tower and tall spire in Early English style, of 1861 and 1867 by Raphael Brandon, replaces the medieval spire. North aisle restored 1882 by Street, south aisle in 1896 by Pearson. Chancel chapels rebuilt 1865. South porch 1897 by Bodley. North timber porch of 1862. Monuments: North aisle John Whatton and wives 1656 signed by Joshua Marshall. Chancel Gabriel Newton 1746 in Rococo style busts on large pedestal with relief carving. South chapel 1814 John Johnson, the architect of Assembly Rooms, Hotel Street, standing figure of Hope with anchor designed by Johnson, sculptor John Bacon the younger.

Nos 2 to 12 (even) St Martin's Cathedral and the Guildhall together with No 20 Loseby Lane form a groupalso St Mrtins Cathedral forms a group with Nos 3 to 7 (odd) St Martins East.



Listing NGR: SK5849804454

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 58498 04454

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 12:12:54.