List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN, NOW KNOWN AS THE LUMLEY CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1183440

Location

REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN, NOW KNOWN AS THE LUMLEY CHAPEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthoritySuttonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206711

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 4430 CHEAM Remains of Old Church of St Dunstan, now known as The Lumley Chapel Tq 2463 NW 29/50 28.8.53. II* GV 2. The Chancel of the original church C12. Rubble stone with roughcast finish, gabled tile roof. South side has remains of C13 arcade now blocked, North side has blocked C12 round-headed windows. The East window is renewed Cl5. The interior has a fine late C16 moulded plaster ceiling of interlacing ribs rising from an ornamental cornice. The building contains a number of very important monuments and brasses which according to the Victoria County History include:- Monuments. Lord Lumley 1609; Joan Lady Lumley, late Cl6; Elizabeth Lady Lumley, early C17; Frances Peirson 1693; James Bovey 1695; and others and Brasses John Compton 1450 and Joan his wife 1458; William Wooddward 1459; Bartholomew Fromond 1579; Michael Denys 1578; Thomas Fromond 1513; Edmund Barret 1631; and others.

Nos 1 to 4 (consec) Church Road form a group with the Lychgate, with the Church of St Dunstan, with Lumley Chapel, with the boundary wall to former West Cheam Manor House, Church Farm Lane, and with Church Farm House, Springclose Lane.

Listing NGR: TQ2429963900

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 24299 63900

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 07:16:05.