List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW

List entry Number: 1183324

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, CHURCH STREET
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, STANDLAKE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityDucklington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 252153

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DUCKLINGTON CHURCH STREET SP3507 (South side) 18/79 Church of St. Bartholomew 12/09/55

GV I

Church. Late C12; C13 alterations; north aisle remodelled in early C14; restored 1871 by E.C. Bruton. Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings; gabled stone slate roof. Chancel, aisled nave and west tower. C15 Perpendicular east window; 3-bay south wall of chancel has C15 chamfered square-headed door flanked by mid C13 lancets,and late C13 three-light window with plate tracery to west; 3 mid C13 lancets in north wall. South aisle: late C13 three-light trefoil-headed east window; south wall has C15 three-light cinquefoil-headed window, 2 late C13 trefoil-headed lancets, and C17 south porch with heavy arched lintel over mid C19 door; plain C13 pointed chamfered south doorway. North aisle completely remodelled in fine early C14 Decorated work: string course forms hoods over 4-light east window, 3 two-light north windows and 3-light west window, all of elaborate curvilinear tracery; gabled wall and corner buttresses each have trefoiled statue niches. North porch has mid C13 pointed moulded doorway with moulded capitals to shafts: early C14 pointed convex-moulded north doorway with ballflower ornament; C18 plank door with fittings. 3-stage west tower with upper string course: C15 three-light west window and 2-light belfry windows; stair turret with 2 slit lights to south; embattled parapet with renewed stonework. Interior: reset late C16 Belgian reredos with scenes of the Last Supper and Trial of Jesus. 2 statue corbels, C13 trefoiled piscina and sedilia, and pointed chamfered recess and aumbry with roll-moulded surround and triangular head. Early C14 chancel arch set on shafts with moulded capitals and bases and stiff-leaf stops to hood. Nave: late C17 polygonal pulpit has finely-carved cartouches on each face. Late C12 drum font with roll-moulded rim and intersecting round arches. C17 parish chest. Mid C13 double-chamfered archway with stiff-leaf corbels to west tower. Late C12 Transitional L-bay north arcade: double-chamfered pointed arches set on round piers with square bases, and moulded capitals with stiff-leaf carving to west and interlacing nailhead arcs to east. Trefoiled piscina in north aisle, which has early C14 painting of the Trinity in jamb of east window. Early C14 three-bay north arcade has moulded arches on piers of quatrefoil section with moulded capitals and bases: hood-moulds have stops of coiling serpents to south, and heads including king and queen to north. Very fine early C14 Decorated north aisle: upper string course of ballflower ornament forming hoods over east and west windows. Tomb recesses to north-east have ogee canopies very elaborately carved with heads, vine trails and sleeping figures in spandrel: cusping beneath has carved heads set in sprays of foliage in spandrels. Two carved figures depicting Coronation of the Virgin set in tracery of east window; niches for statues, and some damaged statues depicting Life of the Virgin at east end of aisle. Fittings: mid and late C19. Stained glass: late C19 and early C20 memorial glass; east window of north aisle has C14 foliate and star patterns, and 2 birds in central mouchette. The north aisle is a fine example of the flowing curvilinear phase of early C14 Decorated architecture. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, pp.588-589; National Monuments Record; Bodleian Library, Oxford, M.S. Top Oxon, for C19 drawings especially by J.C. Buckler (1826)).

Listing NGR: SP3590807588

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 588-9

National Grid Reference: SP 35908 07592

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 02:38:50.