List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1182735

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityEaton Hastings

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 251544

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EATON HASTINGS SU29NE Church of St Michael 2/75 21/11/66 GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C13 but restored in 1870, 1872 and 1895. Rubble stone with a gabled stone tiled roof. 3 bay nave, 3-bay chancel, S porch and W bellcote. 2- and 3-light Early English lancets to S wall of nave, blocked Norman doorway, one Early English lancet on N wall of nave. W window of 3 stepped trefoiled lancets with quatrefoils above. Single lancet windows to N and S walls of chancel, E window of 3 stepped pointed-trefoiled lights. C19 porch with gabled stone tiled roof and a C13 S doorway with a rounded-trefoiled head. C19 gabled bellcote. The S aisle has disappeared leaving an aisleless interior with the remains of an Early English arcade on the S wall of the nave of plain character. Also an Early English cusped tomb recess on S wall. Deep splays to the Norman and Early English windows on N wall. Chancel arch is Transitional with abaci of saltire crosses but a pointed arch with a slight chamfer. Early English sedilia in the chancel - a recess with 2 half shafts on heads and with stiff leaf capitals. Also a trefoil-headed piscina. Open rafter roof throughout with tie beams, queen posts and tier of wind braces. Fine set of stained glass by Morris & Co: 1874 nave N side, St Matthew with Angel by Edward Burne-Jones; 1877 chancel N side, Christ walking on the water also by Burne-Jones; 1935 W window, St Raphael after a design by William Morris, St Michael after a design by Ford Madox Brown and St Gabriel after another design by Morris. E window by Clayton and Bell depicting scences from the gospels. Polygonal Jacobean pulpit with much strapwork and arcading. Font also Jacobean - an octagonal stone base with octagonal bowl and contemporary wooden cover with a crucifix supported by 4 brackets. A C Sewter, The Stained Glass of Williams Morris and his Circle, 1975, 2, 67.

Listing NGR: SU2628198558

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sewter, A , The Stained Glass of William Morris and his Circle, (1975), 2 67

National Grid Reference: SU 26281 98558

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Nov-2014 at 06:07:37.