List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RADLEY HALL

List entry Number: 1182496

Location

RADLEY HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityRadley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jun-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249787

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RADLEY ST. PETER'S COLLEGE SU59NW 9/111 Radley Hall 09/02/66 (Formerly listed as Radley Hall, part of St. Peter's College) GV II* Country house, now part of St. Peter's College. Built 1721-7 by William Townsend and Bartholomew Peisley for Sir John Stonhouse. Flemish bond red brick set on limestone ashlar plinth: limestone ashlar storey bands, quoins and dressings. Shallow-pitched lead roof; brick internal stacks. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys; 9-window range of 2:5:2 fenestration. Projecting outer bays have restored pilaster quoins with chamfered edges. C20 double-leaf doors with late C18 Neo-classical fanlight: keyed round-arched doorway has Doric entablature and base (without shaft) sunk into rusticated surround with triglyph-frieze: segmental-arched sash above has engaged brick columns and curved shoulders. Gauged brick ground-floor round arches and flat arches (above) over 6-pane sashes and shorter attic sashes. Plain stone string courses; console-brackets to deep moulded cornice. Rear: in similar style except 3:3:3 fenestration has central projecting bays: central sash window with eared stone architrave set above simpler doorcase with brackets to entablature. 5-bay side walls in similar style have similar pilaster quoins flanking central bay. C18 lead rainwater heads. Cloister walks (q.v.) attached to right. Interior: some early C19 detailing and late C19 alteration. Hall: C18 panelled dado, late C19 fireplace, early C19 cornice, and early C18 round-arched entries with panelled reveals to staircases which flank hall. Very fine dog-leg with landing staircases, with alternating fluted and turned balusters on open string and to landing balconies: staircase to right is more finely detailed: panelled dado: landings have tall round-arched entries to rooms and Corinthian-modillioned cornice. First-floor room to left has early C19 cornice and fireplace with Doric columns. Ground-floor rear room was opened out in late C19: has late C17 panelling from Merton College, and early C17 panelling and carved woodwork from Exeter College chapel similar to that of Nick Hall, Radley (q.v.). Room to front right has early C19 three-bay Ionic screen of the Order of Bassae. Peisley and Townesend (who had worked for Vanbrugh) were involved in the building of many Oxford colleges in the early C18; the unusual Doric doorcase is repeated at Kingston House, Kingston Bagpuize, also by Townesend. Radley Hall was let out in the early C19 as a Non-Conformist school and became St. Peter's College in 1847: the exterior stonework was restored after this date. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, pp.196-7; V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol.IV, p.410; H.M. Colvin, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects, 1600-1840, 1978, pp.630, 835; V. Hope, "The Architect of Radley Hall", Country Life, Vol.108, 1950, p.237; Berkshire Record Office, P/EPL/L2/1,2 for original building contract).

Listing NGR: SU5178299546

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 630 835
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 410
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 196-7
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 108, (1950), 237

National Grid Reference: SU 51782 99546

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 06:45:25.