List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HINTON MANOR

List entry Number: 1182212

Location

HINTON MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireVale of White HorseDistrict AuthorityHinton Waldrist

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 250940

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HINTON WALDRIST SU39NE 3/110 Hinton Manor 10/11/52 (Formerly listed as The Manor House) - II*

Manor House, now house. Late C16; refronted and block to rear right added c.1700 by John Loder; c.1830 wing to left heightened c,1860 and c.1830 orangery to right of front. Roughcast, limestone ashlar dressings; stone slate roof; stone stacks. Double-depth plan to main late C16 block. 2 storeys and attic; 5-bay. Consoles to moulded flat hood over C20 door. Flat keyed arches and ashlar quoins to mid C18 sashes, late Clb one-light cavetto-moulded windows to basement. Moulded cornice. Two gabled dormers flank central dormer with segmental head. M-shaped roof; gable end external stacks. 2-storey, 2-bay extension to left, was built c.1830 as one-storey extension with Gothic crenellated parapet, but extra storey added c.1860; roughcast with gabled Welsh slate roof, rear lateral external stack; sashes to front and to canted bay on left side wall; Crenellated parapet adorned orangery of c.1830 to right, with keyed semi-circular arches over windows and gabled glass roof. Right side wall of late C16 block has 2 early C18 sashes, 2 late Cl6 two-light cavetto-moulded stone cross-windows to first floor and similar late Cl6 one-light windows to attic. One-storey block to left side wall has C18 lateral external stack. Early C18 block to rear right: 2 storeys, 4 x 2 bays, roughcast with gabled stone slate roof and stone ashlar gable end stacks. Garden front has keyed stone moulded architraves to early C18 stair-light sash to right, and to left, early C18 sashes symmetrically ordered with central doorway having segmental pediment with broken entablature and frieze carving of putti holding wreath; one-storey, one-bay roughcast block to right, beneath stairlight, has similar blind doorway with tympanum carving. Interior: C18 panelled shutters, 3- and 6-panelled doors. Hall had late Cl6 moulded fireplace with urn stops. To rear left of hall are dog-leg with landing stairs with turned balusters on closed string; keyed semi-circular arch over doorway to hall. Bolection-moulded panelling and early C18 fireplace to room left of hall. Late C16 room to rear of hall has quartered and moulded beams, moulded fireplace with urn stops; early C18 bolection-moulded panelling to inserted passage to left leading to rear right early C18 block, which has C20 stairs in original position to left and early C18 dining roam to right with plaster friezes over doors and windows and pedimented main door to rear. To rear left, in rear wall of late C16 block, is probably reset C14 chamfered pointed doorway. First floor: early C18 bolection-mouled panelling and fireplace over hall; late Cl6 chamfered fireplace to left. Similar panelled rooms to rear of late Cl6 block, with fine rococo fireplace to left and late C16 carved panels and overmantle dated 1662 to right fireplace. Early C18 fireplace to rear right block. Late Cl6 block has collar-truss roof with butt purlins. (Buildings of England: Berkshire, p.155; N. Davenport, The Honour of St. Valery, 1978, passim).

Listing NGR: SU3744499163

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Davenport, N, The Honour of St Valery, (1978)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 155
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SU 37444 99163

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 05:57:16.