List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MELOR

List entry Number: 1182066

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST MELOR, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiltshireUnitary AuthorityAmesbury

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 18-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 321323

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for: AMESBURY CHURCH STREET (north side)

Church of St Mary and 11/12 St Melor

18.2.58

The description shall be amended to read:

SU 1541 AMESBURY CHURCH STREET (north side)

11/12 Church of St Mary and St Melor 18.2.58

- I Abbey church of the Order of Fontevrault, now Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored 1852-3 by William Butterfield at cost of £1500. Flint and limestone, some diaper work. Tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with C12 nave, and crossing, chancel transepts and tower rebuilt in C13. South aisle added C15. Chancel, tall, built of ashlar above sill level, with tall lancets, east window replaced with 5-light window in 1852-3. Transepts have shorter lancets, south transept south wall rebuilt C19. Chamfered outset at eaves. Creasing for former east chapel on south transept, replaced by arch, in turn replaced by 3-light cusped window. Eastern chapel remains on north transept, and second inner chapel removed. Nave has corbel table and jambs of clerestory windows on north side, but has been shortened, probably prior to C19 restoration, but present west end with 3 windows is by Butterfield. C15 two-light clerestory windows replacing original. South aisle of 2 bays incorporating some Roman brick, 3-light windows with pointed segmental heads. Late C15 square-headed door at west end of south wall. North side formerly had attached structure, apparently not an aisle, but also unlikely to be cloister of nunnery. North wall of nave has, beyond west end, lower section of elaborate late C12 doorway, with 4 shafts and early stiff leaf foliage capitals on internal side. Central tower of 2 stages, with lancets at bell stage and plain parapet. Entrance now in south gable of south transept. Interior: Nave of 5 roof bays, late C15-C16 moulded tie-beam trusses with open panelwork and carved wall brackets. South arcade inserted in C12 walls in C15, 2 bays. Three blocked C12 clerestory windows over. Pier has hollow mouldings between 4 shafts, and arches of 2 hollow chamfers. Half arch at west end. Crossing arches on triple keeled shafts, 3 chamfered orders. South west pier has late medieval panel embellish- ment. C12 pier for a north nave opening excavated in wall, possibly a pre- Norman shaft base. Chancel has 3 roof bays, C19 trussed rafters with inclined ashlars, and chamfered ties. Embrasures to windows and rere-arches. Windows on north side partially blocked probably to accommodate lean-to or chapel now demolished. North priest's door. Elaborate moulded recess adjacent, with crocketed gable and pinnacles, known as the abbesses' seat, possibly an Easter sepulchre. Credence table on south side supported on corbels in form of angels holding shields inscribed DED, from east window, reset C19. East end panelled with marble divided by strips of red, blue and yellow tiles, hidden. South aisle arch to transept has capital embillished with leaf motif as arcade. Small piscina with credence shelf. Stoup by south west door, now containing a medieval queen's head. Transepts have C16 plaster vaults with moulded timber members, angels at junction of ribs with wall plates. C13 arch to east chapel in north transept. This chapel, the Jesus Chapel, has C13 quadripartite vault of ribs on stiff leaf capitals. Large double piscina. Above entrance arch, a doorway to space over vault. Fittings: Font: In south aisle, C12 Purbeck marble, a tapered square with shallow blind arcading, reset on C15 arcaded lime- stone base. Pulpit, C19 oak on stone base. Second font at west end a truncated octagonal shaft with string and triangular fillets to square base. Medieval. Chancel screen C15 or early C16, reset in 1907, oak. Large 5-light bays with tracery and central pair of doors. Fixings for absent rood over. Similar C19 screen to north transept. Choir stalls by Butterfield, boldly panelled, and similar altar rail. Organ with elaborate case, from St Edmund's church Salisbury. Furniture: Small C17 chest in chancel. Fine late Cl6 table on thick twisted balusters, in south transept. At west end, glass case containing fragments of a fine Anglo Saxon double wheel headed cross carved on face and edge with a double strand interlace, and fragment of a second cross (?). Glass: North West chancel window contains C14 grisaille work, and below, the upper part of a fine C15 Queen of Heaven in an architectural frame. Early C20 glass in 2 south lancets. Monuments: In chancel: Eleven wall monuments, including (a) A Delft tile on marble inscribed to Lucretia Corfe, died 1755; (b) Carved moulded panel to John Thurloe, etc erected 1683; (c) An alabaster aedicule to George Blake, died 1909, and various late C19 and C20 marble and gilt monuments to the Antrobus family. One marble Fowle monument of 1916. In north transept: (a) A tablet by Osmund, white marble on grey. A sarcophagus with gabled top to Henry Selfe, died 1831. (b) Tablet, also by Osmund, marble drapery on black. To Henry Long, died 1843, and Anne. South Transept: Two war memorials and three C19 brasses, (a) By Osmund, white marble sarcophagus on black, to Elizabeth Ouseley and Susan Palmer, children killed at Lucknow, 1857; (b) White stone tablet to John Bundy, died 1794, and wife; (c) White marble on black, by Soper, to Edward Fower, died 1911. Brass: In nave, dexter black, motto DEI MEMOR GRATUS AMICI, for Sir Edmund Antrobus, died 1870. Benefaction board recording four benefactions of 1677, 1708, 1725 and 1828 including the founding of the Free Grammar School 1677. Clock: In south transept. C15, with twin drums, the original verge and foliate escapement replaced. Amesbury Abbey was significant in Arthurian legend, becoming an important late Anglo Saxon nunnery, refounded as a double house under the Order of Fontevrault in 1170 and later, the centre for a school of manuscript illumination (c.f. Amesbury Psalter, mid C13). The precise position and layout of the monastic house is not known. (Pevsner: Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; Notes by Margaret Tomlinson for VCH; Lt Col Chettle, The English Houses of the Order of Fontervrault, Downside Review, LX, 1942; Amesbury Gleanings in W.A.N.H.S. 1876; Short Guide to the Abbey Church of St Mary and St Melor, 1969)

------------------------------------

SU 1541 AMESBURY CHURCH STREET (north side)

11/12 Church of St Mary and St Melor 18.2.58

I Abbey church of the Order of Fontevrault, now Anglican parish church. C12, C13, C14 and C15, restored 1852-3 by William Butterfield at cost of £1500. Flint and limestone, some diaper work. Tiled roofs. Cruciform plan with C12 nave, and crossing, chancel transepts and tower rebuilt in C13. South aisle added C15. Chancel, tall, built of ashlar above sill level, with tall lancets, east window replaced with 5-light window in 1852-3. Transepts have shorter lancets, south transept south wall rebuilt C19. Chamfered outset at eaves. Creasing for former east chapel on south transept, replaced by arch, in turn replaced by.3-light cusped window. Eastern chapel remains on north transept, and second inner chapel removed. Nave has corbel table and jambs of clerestory windows on north side, but has been shortened, probably prior to C19 restoration, but present west end with 3 windows is by Butterfield. C15 two-light clerestory windows replacing original. South aisle of 2 bays incorporating some Roman brick, 3-light windows with pointed segmental heads. Late C15 square headed door at west end of south wall. North side formerly had attached structure, apparently not an aisle, but also unlikely to be cloister of nunnery. North wall of nave has, beyond east end, lower section of elaborate late C12 doorway, with 4 shafts and early stiff leaf foliage capitals on internal side. Central tower of 2 stages, with lancets at bell stage and plain parapet. Entrance now in south gable of south transept. Interior: Nave of 5 roof bays, late C15-C16 moulded tie-beam trusses with open panelwork and carved wall brackets. South arcade inserted in C12 walls in C15, 2 bays. Three blocked C12 clerestory windows over. Pier has hollow mouldings between 4 shafts, and arches of 2 hollow chamfers. Arch at west end. Crossing arches on triple keeled shafts, 3 chamfered orders. South west pier has late medieval panel embellishment. C12 pier for a north nave opening excavated in wall, possibly a pre-Norman shaft base. Chancel has 3 roof bays, C19 trussed rafters with inclined ashlars, and chamfered ties. Embrasures to windows and rere- arches. Windows on north side partially blocked probably to accommodate lean-to or chapel now demolished. North priest's door. Elaborate moulded recess adjacent, with crocketed gable and pinnacles, known as the abbesses' seat, possibly an Easter sepulchre. Credence table on south side supported on corbels in form of angels holding shields inscribed DD, from east window, reset C19. East end panelled with marble divided by strips of red, blue and yellow tiles, hidden. South aisle arch to transept has capital embellished with leaf motif as arcade. Small piscina with credence shelf. Stoup by west door, now containing a medieval queen's head. Transepts have C16 plaster vaults with moulded timber members, angels at junction of ribs with wall plates. C13 arch to east chapel in north transept. This chapel, the Jesus Chapel, has C13 quadripartite vault of ribs on stiff leaf capitals. Large double piscina. Above entrance arch, a doorway to space over vault. Fittings: Font: In south aisle, C12 Purbeck marble, a tapered square with shallow blind arcading, reset on C15 arcaded limestone base. Pulpit, Cl9 oak on stone base. Second font at west end a truncated octagonal shaft with string and triangular fillets to square base. Medieval. Chancel screen C15 or early C16, reset in 1907, oak. Large 5-light bays with tracery and central pair of doors. Fixings for absent rood over. Similar C19 screen to north transept. Choir stalls by Butterfield, boldly panelled, and similar altar rail. Organ with elaborate case, from St Edmund's church Salisbury. Furniture: Small C17 chest in chancel. Fine late C16 table on thick twisted balusters, in south transept. At west end, glass case containing fragments of a fine Anglo Saxon double wheel headed cross carved on face and edge with a double strand interlace, and fragment of a second cross (?). Glass: North nave window contains C14 grisaille work, and below, the upper part of a fine C15 Queen of Heaven in an architectural frame. Early C20 glass in 2 south lancets. Monuments: In chancel: eleven wall monuments, including (a) A Delft tile on marble inscribed to Lucretia Corfe, died 1755; (b) Carved moulded panel to John Thurloe, etc erected 1683; (c) An alabaster aedicule to George Blake, died 1909, and various late C19 and C20 marble and gilt monuments to the Antrobus family. One marble Fowle monument of 1916. In north transept: (a) A tablet by Osmund, white marble on grey. A sarcophagus with gabled top to Henry Selfe, died 1831. (b) Tablet, also by Osmund, marble drapery on black. To Henry Long, died 1843, and Anne. South Transept: Two war memorials and three C19 brasses, (a) By Osmund, white marble sarcophagus on black, to Elizabeth Ouseley and Susan Palmer, children killed at Lucknow, 1857; (b) White stone tablet to John Bundy, died 1794, and wife; (c) White marble on black, by Soper, to Edward Flower, died 1911. Brass: In chancel a small brass to Edithe Matyn 1470. Hatchment: In nave, dexter black, motto DEI MEMOR GRATUS AMICI, for Sir Edmund Antrobus, died 1870. Benefaction board recording four benefactions of 1677, 1708, 1725 and 1828 including the founding of the Free Grammar School 1677. Clock: In south transept. C15, with twin drums, the original verge and foliate escapement replaced. Amesbury Abbey was significant in Arthurian legend, becoming an important late Anglo Saxon nunnery, refounded as a double house under the Order of Fontevrault in 1170 and later, the centre for a school of manuscript illumination (c.f. Amesbury Psalter, mid C13). The precise position and layout of the monastic house is not known. (Pevsner: Buildings of England, WILTSHIRE; Notes by Margaret Tomlinson for VCH; Lt Col Chettle, The English Houses of the order of Fontevrault, Downside Review, LX, 1942; Amesbury Gleanings in W.A.N.H.S. 1876; Short Guide to the Abbey Church of St Mary & St Melor, 1969)

Listing NGR: SU1517641432

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Title: Short Guide to the Abbey Church of St Mary and St Melor - Date: 1969
  2. Article  Reference - Title: Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine - Date: 1876 - Journal Title: Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine
  3. Article  Reference - Author: Chettle, LC - Title: The English Houses of the Order of Fontervault - Date: 1942 - Journal Title: Downside Review - Volume: 60
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Wiltshire - Date: 1975

National Grid Reference: SU 15176 41435

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 12:52:07.