List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1181830

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityFressingfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 279970

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FRESSINGFIELD CHURCH STREET TM 27 NE 10/21 Church of St. Peter and St - Paul 29.7.55 GV II

Parish church. Medieval; restored 1870 and 1888. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, north and south porches. Flint rubble with stone dressings; the side walls of the chancel are plastered. Leaded roofs. Early C14 square tower in 4 stages, with crenellated parapet. 2-light belfry openings. C15 aisles with largely original windows. The north aisle was extended to the east in early C16 to form a Guild Chapel, re-using a doorway and window of early C14 date from the chancel. 6-bay clerestorey with C15 2- light windows. At the east end of the nave roof an ornate original sanctus bell turret. Fine south porch of c.1420 with C19 restoration: flushwork- panelled facade with enriched entrance arch; above are 2 Tudor roses in square panels. 2-light parvis window flanked by empty canopied niches and 3-light traceried panels. Stone parapet with quatrefoils and cresting. Tierceron vault with carved bosses, springing from C19 corbels. Medieval nave door. Early C14 chancel, considerably restored in C19: an original window to the north and 2 C15 windows to the south. C19 4-light east window in Perpendicular style, shafted internally with foliage capitals. Interior 3-bay aisle arcades. Fine C15 single hammerbeam nave roof with a wide enriched cornice. C15 arch-braced chancel roof. Much of the north aisle roof is medieval: there are pierced spandrels and the wallposts rest on corbels carved as heads. In the south aisle an ogee-headed cinquefoil piscina. In the sanctuary an elaborate canopied piscina and triple sedilia, originally early C14 but nearly all renewed late C19. Plain octagonal font of medieval date. A very fine set of 18 late C15 poppyhead benches, all with carved ends and back-rests, and some retaining carved arm-rests. The 2 westernmost benches have backs carved with 12 square panels, each to a different design. Some other benches incorporate C15 carved components. Dado of C15 rood screen with traceried panels.

Listing NGR: TM2615577483

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 26155 77483

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 06:40:20.