List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST AGATHA

List entry Number: 1181581

Location

CHURCH OF ST AGATHA, THE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityBrightwell-cum-Sotwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249191

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHTWELL CUM SOTWELL THE STREET SU5790 (South side) Brightwell 5/33 Church of St. Agatha 14/06/63 GV II* Church. C12 nave; early C14 chancel and aisles; tower rebuilt c.1797; nave ceiled c.1815; church restored in 1858 and 1884; organ chamber added c.1903. Coursed limestone rubble to chancel; pebbledash, probably on limestone rubble to aisle and porch; uncoursed limestone rubble to clerestory; grey brick with red brick dressings to tower; Welsh slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Studded plank door with wrought iron hinges to porch at right of aisle. Porch has stone benches to each side. Two 2-light geometrical tracery windows to aisle. Four 2-light stone mullion windows with trefoil lights and hood moulds to clerestory. Plank door with wrought iron hinges to organ chamber at right of chancel. 2-light geometrical tracery window to chancel. Tower of 3 stages to right with flat brick band between each stage. Round-topped louvred openings having wood Y-tracery to tops and round-arched brick heads with keystones and stone imposts to each side of top stage. Plain parapet to roof of tower. Rear: C19 restored Romanesque doorway with plank door to centre of aisle. Moulded round-arched doorway with capitals to missing columns. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to left and right of aisle. Four 2-light stone mullion windows wih trefoil lights and hood moulds to clerestory. 2-light geometrical tracery to left of chancel. 3-light reticulated tracery window to right return of aisle. C19 3-light plate tracery window to east end of chancel, Interior; stone spiral roof stairs to left of chancel arch. C15 collar braced roof to chancel. C15 lean-to roof to north aisle. C19 lean-to roof to south aisle. Ogee-headed C14 piscina and sedilia to right of chancel. Moulded beam with angle braces to chancel arch. South arcade of three 2-centred arches on round piers. North arcade of three 2-centred arches on octagonal piers. C19 font and pulpit. (V.C.H.: Berkshire, Vol,III, 1923, p.468-70; Buildings of England; Berkshire, 1966, p.102.

Listing NGR: SU5780390804

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 468-70
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 102

National Grid Reference: SU 57803 90804

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Nov-2014 at 05:49:07.