List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1181258

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityNorth Moreton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 248730

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NORTH MORETON CHURCH STREET SU5689 (South side) 13/117 Church of All Saints 14/06/63

GV I

Church. Early C13 nave and chancel, chantry chapel of c.1300, early C14 south aisle and tower, C15 alterations, south porch and restoration c.1858 by G.E.Street. Banded flint and sandstone to south aisle; flint, with some flint and stone to chantry chapel; ashlar sandstone to tower with some areas of knapped flint; old plain-tile roof to nave and chancel; copper sheet roof to south aisle; roof to chantry chapel and tower not visible. 4-bay nave and south aisle, 3-bay chancel and chantry chapel, west tower. Mid C19 stone gabled porch to centre of south aisle with 2-centred archway and 2-centre arched doorway with plank studded door with wrought iron hinges. 2-light reticulated tracery windows to left and right. Parapet to roof. 2-centre arched doorway with C19 plank door with wrought iron hinges to left of chantry chapel. Three 3-light intersecting tracery windows. Tower to left: slit windows, paired lancet louvred openings to bell stage. Balustrade with open quatrefoils to top. Right return: chancel window of 3 lights with cinqfoil pointed heads. Chantry chapel window, 5-light geometrical tracery of unusual design with 2-centre arched head. Rear: two 2-light Y-tracery windows to chancel. 3-light curvilinear tracery window to left of nave. 2-centre arched blocked doorway to centre, truncated to base. 2-light reticulated tracery window to right. Left return: Tudor-arched door to base of tower with quatrefoil spandrels and moulded hood. 3-light Perpendicular tracery window above, probably C20 repair. Paired lancet to end of aisle to right. Interior: wood barrel-vault roof to chancel. 4-bay crown post roof to nave. Perpendicular roof to chantry chapel. Lean-to roof to south aisle with braces to nave arcade. Mid C19 marble and stone reredos, with mosaic panel to centre, to chancel. Y-tracery former window between chancel and chapel. Arcade of 2 two-centred arches between chancel and chapel. 2-centred chancel arch on half-columns. Mid C19 octagonal wood pulpit to left. Road screen doorway to right. Arcade of 4 two-centred arches between nave and aisle. Round stone Romansque font on square base with C19 wood cover. 2-centre corbelled archway to tower. Fine C14 stained glass to east window of chantry chapel. Angle piscina to right of 2 ogee-headed arches with pierced vesica between the heads with 2-centred arched hood moulds, all supported on circular shaft with moulded cap and base. Three C13 tomb slabs to chapel floor. History: chantry chapel built at expense of Sir Miles de Stapleton. (V.C.H.: Berkshire Vol.3,1923, p.495-7. Buildings of England, Berkshire, 1975, p.186-7).

Listing NGR: SU5620989570

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1923), 495-7
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 186-7

National Grid Reference: SU 56206 89569

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:44:53.