List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1181243

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, UPPER STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SuffolkMid SuffolkDistrict AuthorityRattlesden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 15-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 280873

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RATTLESDEN UPPER STREET TL 95 NE 3/120 Church of St. Nicholas - 15.11.54 GV I Parish church, medieval. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, west tower and north vestry. Mainly flint rubble with freestone dressings. Plaintiled roofs to nave and chancel, flat roofs to aisles. Parapets and parapet gables throughout. C13 features: good south doorway with 3 orders of roll moulding, keeled or filleted, twin attached shafts with bell capitals. Above the doorway is a C13 circular window, and a weathering for an early porch. Much early C14 rebuilding: tower with shallow clasping buttresses, gabled at the head with grotesque corbels. 2-light belfry windows with unusual tracery. Shingled spire. 5-bay nave arcade with heavy capitals and fluted octagonal piers; at the head of each is a cinquefoil beneath the capital. C14 north doorways in nave and chancel, and to vestry. An aumbry with gabled head rising from grotesque corbels and with flanking shafts and damaged pinnacles. Later C14 wide chancel arch: The aisles Gave large traceried early C15 windows. In the east wall of both aisles are well carved but mutilated image niches; the niche in the south aisle has areas of colouring, and adjacent is a piscina. A rood loft stair is in the south wall, indicating a former parclose screen linking with the main rood screen (both existing screens and lofts were added in 1909/16). Later C15 tall windows in chancel. Fine C15 clerestory: embattled parapets with extensive flushwork incorporating a wide variety of emblems. Large 3-light windows. A double- hammerbeam nave roof in 10 bays: 3 tiers of restored angels at each truss and a freize of angels and crowns above a moulded cornice. Chancel roof of C15, boarded with trefoil coving, moulded ribs and cornice and foliate bosses. Aisle roofs with arch-braced principals also C15. All roofs much restored. South porch added c.1476: the south wall is entirely of freestone with traceried panels and an image niche. The parapets are also of panelled freestone, continuous with those of the aisle. The clasping buttresses at the west corners match those in the tower, but the pinnacles were added in 1883. The sacristy was added in C15 to north of chancel, and formerly had a chamber above: the upper floor structure was removed in C19. Fine mid C14 octagonal font: each face of the bowl has a cusped ogee-headed arch with buttresses rising from grotesque corbels, and the stem is also traceried with slender buttresses. A C15 slab in the nave floor with brass sinkings for three figures, and another with single brass sinking. A further slab beneath the altar in the chancel is to James (1587) and Dorothy (1617) Ryvett of Clopton Hall. Ten C17/C18 marble slabs in chancel floor, some with achievements. C17 octagonal pulpit with arcaded panels. Turned altar rails of late C17. Some restored C16 poppyhead benches in south aisle.

Listing NGR: TL9780559049

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 97805 59049

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 02:21:19.