List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1181036

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityHarpsden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 247096

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARPSDEN SU78SE 7/75 Church of St. Margaret 09/02/59 - II Church. C12 with C14 windows. In 1848 Benjamin Ferrey lengthened the nave and added the north tower and aisle. Henry Woodyer restored the chancel in 1879. C20 school to south. Flint with stone dressing and windows; plain tile roof. Nave and chancel with north aisle and tower. Early English style. 4-bay nave. Timber frame gabled porch with plain tile roof and C19 studded door to left. 3-light Perpendicular window and trefoil-headed lancet to left. Tower of 2 stages: single lancet to first stage; 2-light Early English louvred opening to 2nd stage; plain parapet to pyramidal tiled roof with weather vane. 2-light and 3-light lancets to left of tower. Studded plank door to vestry with 2-centred head. East window to chancel of intersecting tracery. South: Four C19 Early English windows to nave, two Early English windows to chancel. C12 round-headed doorway to nave. C20 school building attached to nave. Interior: Romanesque font, round, with fluted decoration and cable-moulding. Reset medieval brasses. C18 queen-post roof to nave. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.634).

Listing NGR: SU7633880912

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 634

National Grid Reference: SU 76338 80912

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 08:45:11.