List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS, ST BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1180946

Location

CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW THE LESS, ST BARTHOLOMEW'S HOSPITAL, WEST SMITHFIELD EC1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity and County of the City of LondonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199825

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEST SMITHFIELD EC1 1. 5002 St Bartholomew's Hospital TQ 3181 NE 2/24 4.1.50 Church of St Bartholomew the Less II*

Anglican church and hospital chapel. C15 south-west tower; late medieval brick walling and some masonry, possibly of an earlier date, to north-west vestry. The octagonal nave, which is built from brick, stone and cast-iron, dates to 1823-5, its architect being Thomas Hardwick, then Hospital Surveyor, who was reproducing George Dance's octagonal nave of 1789-91; the builder was Peto. Five-sided chancel and window tracery added in an 1862-3 restoration by Philip Hardwick. Fittings added through the 1860s. Further restorations in the C20, particularly in 1950 to repair war damage; stained glass by Hugh Easton from this time. The post-medieval work in a Gothic Revival manner. Five-sided apse, pierced with lancets; shafts to rib vaulting; chancel arch and steps. Octagonal nave, with triangular areas on the diagonal axes; stellar vault with robust bosses. Geometric tracery of 1862-3 to clerestorey windows on the diagonal axes of the octagonal drum; diaphragm arches to triangular areas below. Perpendicular tracery of two and three lights below, most with Y-shaped heads. Organ to west gallery; narthex to east of entrance of one bay. Encaustic tile paving, pews, some of which along walls, and altar rail, all of 1862-3; carved pulpit given by Philip Hardwick 1864. The floor of the main body of the church is approximately two-and-a-half feet above ground level, a peculiarity which has not been fully explained but which may indicate the presence of vaults. Chandeliers in a late C18 manner suspended from central boss and apex of diaphram arches. Good collection of monuments and brasses of C15 to C20. Those of particular note: Brass in vestry to William Markeby (obit 1439) and his wife; memorial to John and Mary Darker, 1784, 1800, signed by J Binley. Aedicular monument to Thomas Bodley in north-east corner. Octagonal Anglican churches are very rare; Dance adopted the plan in part as an expedient, fitting the piers into the roughly square area enclosed by the medieval nave and aisle walls. He may have been influenced by the dozen non-conformist octagonal churches built between 1761 and 1776. He used a similar plan for the rebuilding of Micheldever tower in Hampshire, 1806-8, again retaining the medieval tower at the west end. To judge from Dance's drawings, Hardwick was relatively faithful to the earlier designs but was compelled to replace the filling medieval walls retained by Dance with new construction.

Listing NGR: TQ3188281600

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31882 81600

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 01:56:16.