List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1180738

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireSouth OxfordshireDistrict AuthoritySydenham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 249094

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SYDENHAM

1706/12/80 Church of St Mary 18-JUL-63

GV II*



Church. C13; restored 1850 by J. Billing of Reading with lengthening of nave, rebuilding of tower arches, replacement of tower, addition of north transept and vestry. Knapped flint with stone dressings; old plain-tile roof; weatherboarded spire with a shingle roof. Nave and chancel with central tower. C19 porch with 2-centred archway and doorway; C19 plank door. Lancet windows. Pyramidal spire to right of centre with 2-light louvred opening to each side. Rear; lancet windows to all openings. East end: 3-light intersecting tracery window. West end: paired lancet. Interior: plaster vault to chancel; 2-centred chancel arch. 2-centre crossing-arch. C15 4-bay hammerbeam nave roof with 2 rows of windbraces. 2-bay hammerbeam roof to transept and vestry; piscina to right of crossing-arch; plain round stone font, proabably C12 and decoration cut off. Set into north and south walls of chancel is the rare survival of wooden pulley wheels and corbels of Lenten Veil. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, 1974, p.810-2; V.C.H.: Oxfordshire, Vol.VIII, 1964, p.125-6).



Listing NGR: SP7296301839

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Salzman, L F - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Oxford - Date: 1964 - Volume: 8 - Page References: 125-126
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Sherwood, J - Title: The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire - Date: 1974 - Page References: 810-812

National Grid Reference: SP 72963 01839

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 03:36:27.