List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1180301

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityIllston on the Hill

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191074

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ILLSTON ON THE HILL MAIN STREET (North Side) SP79 NW 4/52 29.12.66 Church of St. Michael and All Angels GV II* Church. C13-C15, but heavily restored 1867. Restoration by Goddard of Leicester. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and Swithland slate roofs to chancel and S. porch, otherwise parapetted with ashlar. Stone coped shouldered gables with kneelers and finials. W. tower, nave, S. aisle, chancel and S. porch. Tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, diagonal buttresses with set-offs, W. window, small round S. window and clockface on 2nd stage. 4 bell openings formed by a pair of many-moulded lancets, cornice with carved heads at intervals and battlements. Triple chamfered nave arch, the inner 2 continuing to ground. Blocked N. doorway. 2 N. windows with transoms and Perp. tracery. Steps in wall to former roof loft. 3 bay S. arcade with double chamfered arches on octagonal piers and responds. Perp. clerestory with 3 2-light windows either side. C19 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof with curved braces and wall pieces on carved stone corbels. Double chamfered chancel arch, the inner on polygonal responds. Chancel has C19 3 bay roof with curved braces on stone corbels to collars. Chancel windows have shafts at sides. Low 2-light N. window.4-light E. window with stained glass by Clayton and Bell. 3 2-light S. windows, 2 with stained glass by Kempe, 1901 and by Mayer and Co, Munich. S. aisle has S.E. 3-light window with Perp. tracery, and 3 2-lights with Curvilinear tracery incorporating a dagger. Many-moulded S. doorway. S. porch of 1867 with many-moulded archway. Probably C12 round font on triangular base. C17 alabaster wall monument. Royal Arms painted on canvas and dated 1777. V.C.H., Vol. V, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP7067299301

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SP 70672 99301

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 01:11:04.