List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1180300

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityBringhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 190916

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRINGHURST

SP 8492

13/14 Church of St. Nicholas

7.12.66 GV II*

Church. C12-C15, roof dated 1802, and restored 1862. Coursed rubble stone with quoins and stone dressings and Collyweston and leaded roof. Stone coped gables. W tower, nave, aisles, chancel and S porch. Tower of 3 stages with W diagonal buttresses, W doorway with many moulded arch, flat-topped 2-light over tiny 1-lights to SW stair, and 4 2-light bell openings. Above is a moulded string course with central gargoyles, ashlar parapet with crocketted pinnacles and low pyramid roof with weathercock. Double chamfered round arch to nave. 2 bay Late Norman N arcade with single-stepped arches on circular pier. Richly decorated capitals to pier and responds, E respond with carved head. 2 bay S arcade of earlier C13. Slightly pointed single-stepped arches with chamfer on circular pier and responds. Perp clerestory with a 2-light and a 3-light window to S and 2 2-lights to N. 3 bay low-pitch tie-beam roof. N aisle has flat-topped Perp windows. Tablet dated 1707 over N door. C19 double chamfered chancel arch. Chancel has tall 2-light window to N and S and flat-topped 3-light E window. C19 3 bay hammer-beam roof. S aisle has flat-topped Perp windows and small S 1-light. Restored piscina. S porch has archway with rounded single-stepped arch. Single chamfered S doorway. C14 octagonal font. 2 George III Royal Arms, one dated 1814 and double sided. 3 early C19 slate wall monuments. Nave roof inscribed 'W.W. - T.R. 1802'. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP8412792150

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984

National Grid Reference: SP 84127 92150

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 03:07:25.