List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1180219

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityFleckney

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191257

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FLECKNEY SP 69 SW CHURCH STREET (North Side)

1/35 Church of St. Nicholas 7.12.66 GV II*

Church. Some of the fabric is C.12, and much is later medieval, but externally most is of 1869, by Kirk. Cobble with limestone dressings and Welsh slate roofs. Nave with Western bellcote, South aisle and chancel. West wall is C.13 with central buttress with quoins and small Y traceried window. Paired bellcote above. Tracery of south aisle which is entirely of 1869 is squarely cut in Early English style with paired lancets with quatrefoils. Coped gabled South porch with double chamfered arch on cylindrical shafts encloses a resited C.12 doorway: 2 rows of chevron decoration, incised and embossed, outside slim detached cylindrical shafts which support angular cushion capitals. The arch itself has a double layer of chevron decoration and a roll moulded order. Coped east gable to steep nave roof. Chancel appears to be of early C.14. Lancet windows with quatrefoils, and late Decorated east window: 3 lights of slightly compressed reticulated tracery with outer hoodmould. Coped east gable. Vestry to north, and newer vestry beyond which encloses a C.12 north doorway: A double chamfered round headed arch with hood mould springing from weathered corbel heads. Inside, the church is largely of 1869 in Early English style. Nave arcade of 3 bays with cylindrical shafts with round abaci and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. The double chamfered chancel arch springs from corbels. Steep nave roof has curved principals with long bracing. Chancel still has medieval double sedilia with simple chamfered 2 centred arches, and a piscina, with Victorian basin in medieval recess. Victorian wood reredos, and other fittings. Pictorial stained glass in east window of 1925. Victorian font with tapering basin carrying an inscription and supported on clustered filletted shafts.

Listing NGR: SP6474493436

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 64744 93436

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 12:04:44.