List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1180212

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, POULTNEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityKimcote and Walton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191426

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 58 NE KIMCOTE & WALTON POULTNEY LANE, Kimcote (north side)

Church of All Saints 1/15 11/01/55 GV IT*

Parish Church. Late C13, C14, C15, restored 1869 by William Smith. Rubblestone with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs, plain tiled chancel. West tower, nave, north aisle, north vestry, south porch, chancel. Buttresses with set-offs. Windows restored in C19. 4-stage C14/C15 tower, with 4 stringcourses, moulded plinth, angle buttresses, ashlared 4th stage with embattled parapet and crocketed corner finials. West elevation: pointed arch, 2-light window with Y-tracery and hoodmould with headstops. Above in 3rd stage, a moulded, four-centred arch, 2- light bell-opening with transom, louvres, and hoodmould with headstops. North, south and east elevations all have similar bell-openings. South elevation, 2nd stage, has C20 clockface. Earlier nave roofline visible on east elevation. Nave has C15 Clerestory with two 2-light windows in chamfered square frames on north wall and 3 similar windows on south wall, with continuous sill band. Coped east gable with kneelers and cross finials. C13 north aisle and vestry: coped west parapet. Chamfered, pointed arch, 3-light west window with hoodmould. North wall has chamfered plinth, and cornice. From west to east: a buttress, followed by a chamfered, four-centred doorway with plank door, a buttress, a chamfered, pointed arch window with Y- tracery and hoodmould, then a buttress, East wall has a chamfered, pointed arch, 4-light window, with interesting tracery and hoodmould. South wall of nave has moulded plinth, and from west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with hoodmould. Then the C15 south porch, with angle buttresses, coped gable with kneelers and cross finial, chamfered and moulded, pointed arch doorway with responds with capitals and bases, and hoodmould. Chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window in east and west walls. C15, moulded roof timbers. Double- chamfered, pointed arch south doorway with double panelled doors. To east again, a 2-light window in chamfered square frame with hoodmould, a buttress, then a chamfered, pointed arch 3-light window with intersecting tracery, and hoodmould, followed by a buttress. C13 chapel, with coped gable with kneelers and cross finial. North wall has from west to east: a chamfered pointed arch window, with Y-tracery and hoodmould, followed by a buttress. South wall has west to east: a chamfered, pointed arch, 2-light window with plate tracery, and hoodmould with headsteps, then a buttress: Then a chamfered, pointed arch window with Y-tracery and hoodmould with headstops, interrupted below by a C19 doorway with flat arch and plank door. Beyond this, another similar 2-light window with plate tracery, followed by a buttress. East wall has continuous moulded string course and C19, chamfered, pointed arch 4-light window with rectilinear tracery and hoodmould. Above, a small quatrefoil window. INTERIOR: triple-chamfered tower arch with keel-moulded responds with capital and bases. Double-chamfered chancel arch with polygonal responds with capital bases. 3-bay north arcade with double chamfered arches, from west to east: a half round respond, then a round pier, then an octagonal pier, followed by a polygonal respond, all with capitals and bases. South east corner of nave has chamfered, four-centred arch former rood loft doorway. Chancel has piscina in south east corner, with heavily moulded, pointed arch and colonnettes with capitals and bases. Plain, pointed arch aumbry in north east corner. C19 organ occupies doorway to north vestry. Octagonal pedestal font with panels with quatrefoils in circles, dated 1654, but probably earlier. C19 altar rails, pews, stalls, lectern, poor box. C20 north aisle screens to east and west. 1905 tower arch screen with re-used reticulated tracery from earlier C14 screen. Oak chest inscribed on front: J * I Church ( 1816 W * W Wardens) Monuments : chancel; 1860 marble wall memorial on north wall. C20 tablet below south west window refers to gift of window. Late C19 brass wall memorial above door, below south window. Nave; late C19 brass wall memorial; mid C20 brass wall memorial; marble wall memorial with sarcophagus in relief, in memory of John Lucas (d 1827) and his wife (d 1826), all on south wall. 3 large slate floor slabs in centre aisle of nave, with decorated margins and very worn inscriptions. West of those, a small, lozenge-shaped slate slab dated 1827, with worn inscription. North aisle: 1830s marble wall memorial to Lucas family on north wall. Lozenge-shaped, slate floorslab to John Lucas 1835, at west end of aisle. C15 navel roof with brattished trusses and moulded beams with bosses. C19 north aisle and chancel roofs. Stone flag and polychromatic title floors. C19 and early C20 stained glass, south east window of nave, 1907, by Kempe & Co. (Buildings of England: Leicestershire: p. 190)

Listing NGR: SP5858286536

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Williamson, E - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1984 - Page References: 190

National Grid Reference: SP 58582 86536

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Apr-2014 at 07:05:49.