List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CARLTON CURLIEU HALL

List entry Number: 1180165

Location

CARLTON CURLIEU HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityCarlton Curlieu

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191046

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLTON CURLIEU Carlton Curlieu Hall SP 69 NE 3/24 19.10.51 GV II* Country house. Dated 1636, possibly with earlier origins with alterations late C17 and c1800. Ashlar with stone dressings and Swithland slate roof with moulded stone ridge and side stacks. String courses and stone coped Dutch gables with semicircular finials. Entrance front of 2 1/2 storeys and basement with 5 gables and windows. On lower 2 storeys stone mullion and transom windows with moulded eared architraves and mostly leaded lights. The stonework and window at either end project forward on lower 2 floors and have blocked 1-lights on ends. On 2nd floor, windows have moulded stone frames and wooden mullion and transom windows. Central stone 2 storey porch. Rounded archway with faceted keystone and a Roman Doric column either side. Stone cartouche of arms over. Door with Tudor arch. 3 semicircular stone steps. 2-light stone mullion windows in basement, some blocked. 1 storey extension on left end. Avenue front, to right, has 3 Dutch gables, 3 paired 6/6 sashes on lower 2 floors and a 6/6 sash in each gable. Moulded eared architraves on lower 2 floors. Blocked window. Rainwater heads here and on entrance front dated 1871. 1 storey extensions in rear kitchen yard. Inside are reset C17 panelling, C18 oak and pine panelling, bolection moulded stone and marble fireplaces, and probably later C17 oak staircase with heavy turned balusters and ball finials. Gable overlooking kitchen yard is inscribed "Sep.24, 1636 I.O.T.O." The seat of the Palmer family since the C17. V.C.H., Vol. V, and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP6955697114

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

National Grid Reference: SP 69556 97114

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 08:14:38.