List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1180137

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHarboroughDistrict AuthorityCarlton Curlieu

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 191044

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP69NE CARLTON CURLIEU

3/22 29.12.66 church of st. mary GV II

Church. C12 tower, restored and partly rebuilt 1685 (dated), rest 1767, altered and restored 1880-1. Course rubble stone and ashlar with quoins, and red brick with stone dressings. Swithland slate roofs with stone coped gable and finial. W.Tower, navem and chancel under one roof, N. vestry and S porch. Unbuttressed tower of 3 stagesm C12 lower 2 of coursed rubble stone, stage, and 4 2-light bell openings with rounded arches, impost blocks, keystones and ver simple curving tracery. Cornice and parapet with corner pilasters surmounted by orbs, the lower part covered with foliage. Rounded arech to nave with zig-zag in soffit, chevron on archb and roll moulding on angle. Impost moulding and scalloped capitals but shafts missing. Nave and chancel are of red brick with stone plinth, buttresses with set-offs, and cornice. 5 windows to S., 4 to N., of 1880 and of 2 lights with simple Geometric tracery. C19 5 bay roof, crown posts and struts from collars. N. vestry , rebuilt 1880. C19 E. window with intersected tracery and stained glass. C19 S. porch wooden open work on stone plinth. N. Windon of vestry has fragments of medieval stained glass. Below is a monument of Sir John Bale, died 1621 and wife. Alabaster and marble with 2 recumbant effigies on a table tomb, the wife behind and higher. The aedicule behind has a central cartouche carved with coat of arms as cresting, and below, on the back platem the couple's children caved in high relief. Strapwork, sheilds and inscriptions round the base of tomb. Georgian Royal Arms painted on canvas. On d N face of tower parapet is inscribed "in the year MDCLXXXV the church and steeple was repaired by Geffrey Palmer Esq, son and heir of \Sir Lewis Palmer of \Carlton near Cottingham inthe Country of Northampton, Barronett." Coat of arms in the centre. To Henry Dormer is attributed the work on the tower. V.C.H. Vol. V, Colvin and Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SP6936297257

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Colvin, H M - Title: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840 - Date: 1978
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Leicester - Date: 1964
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland - Date: 1960

National Grid Reference: SP 69362 97257

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Apr-2014 at 06:58:33.