List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER HOLY ROOD CHURCH, NOW A MERCHANT NAVY MEMORIAL

List entry Number: 1178862

Location

FORMER HOLY ROOD CHURCH, NOW A MERCHANT NAVY MEMORIAL, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
City of SouthamptonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1981

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 135834

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. HIGH STREET 5239 (east side)

Former Holy Rood Church, now a Merchant Navy Memorial (formerly listed as Ruins of Holy Rood Church) SU 4211 4/137 14.7.53

II*

2. This was built in 1320, rebuilt in 1849-50 retaining parts of the C14 chancel and aisles and the south-west tower and spire and was bombed during the Second World War. The ruins were restored in 1957 as a memorial to merchant seamen. C14 built of stone rubble. Tower walls intact up to springing of tower roof but the wooden spire has gone. Three stages with tall Y-tracery window on the south side at the top of the first stage and 2-light cusples windows, with circular tracery, to the belfry. Chancel remains substantially intact with 2 perpendicular windows in the south wall. Blocked outline of a trefoiled sedilia in the south wall. Under the tower is a memorial fountain, erected in 1912-13 for those who lost their lives in the Titanic Dfisaster, removed from its original site in Cemetery Road, the Common Stone Drinking Fountain, supported on 4 stone columns. Curved pediment on each side with carving depicting the 'Titanic' 4 columned cupola over all. The ruins of the church are scheduled as an ancient monument.

Listing NGR: SU4200611268

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 42045 11300

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Aug-2014 at 09:14:08.