List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN

List entry Number: 1178648

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN, FARLEY CHAMBERLAYNE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HampshireWinchesterDistrict AuthorityHursley

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 27-Nov-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 145848

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 32 NE HURSLEY FARLEY CHAMBERLAYNE

3/2 Church of St John

I

Church. C12 church with C14, C18 and C20 alterations. Flint with stone dressings, rendered, old plain tile roof. Norman church of chancel and nave c1130-60, C14 rebuilding to W, W bellcote and c1910 porch. Chancel has on E C18 round-headed window with timber frame; 2 similar windows to N and one to S. On N wall C16 small stone plaque. Nave N wall has similar C18 NE window, signs of windows to W, central C16 stepped buttress and C18 NW corner buttress. S nave wall has to E 2 C18 windows, to W C20 timber-frame and plaster infill gabled porch. Inside it is Norman round-headed doorway with chamfered abaci, hood mould on radially set grotesque head stops, and C16 studded planked door with strap hinges and old lock. To W tablet 1769 to Richard Wooley and C14 stepped buttress repaired C18. C19 2-light hipped dormer above porch. W end has S of centre C14 stepped buttress, in centre C14 trefoiled window with hood mould, over small rectangular light, below blocked W door. On roof square sectioned weatherboarded bellcote with hipped roof, containing 3 bells: mediaeval inscribed 'In honore Tri', late C15 by William Hasylwood inscribed 'Sancta Rafael ora pro nobis', and 1603. Inside chancel all W down have slightly splayed rear arches. 2 C18 stone steps to sanctuary which has C18 panelling. On E wall monuments: 1627 to John St John & family, of inscription panel in frame with each side Corinthian column, below panel of son and wife with infant, above crest; 1786 to Rev. John St John. On S wall monument 1600 to William St John, large stone tomb chest with 4 panels containing shields; effigy of knight resting under canopy, in front 3 Ionic columns supporting full entablature surmounted by crest. Floor slabs: 1699 to Sir Oliver St John; 1700 to Francisca St John; 1780 to Sir Paulet St John. C17 altar rails with turned balustrades and moulded hand rail. On chancel walls tablets: 1747 to Rev. Pretty; 1815 to Thrift Smith; 1817 to John Plumstead Reeve. Floor slabs: 1691 Elizabeth Smith; 1689 Oliver St John; 1722 Clifford St John; 1674 Rev. Robert West. C15 2-bay barrel-vaulted roof with S braces on to stone corbels, central ridge timber removed. In nave C18 reading desk and in NW early C18 pulpit and tester. Floor slab C17 to Thomas Childes. At W end tall panell- ing separating off vestry. C15 king post 3 bays of 4 survive with W bay removed for large timber post to support bellcote which also support roof. On E posts 2 solid hatchments to St John family. In vestry remains of stocks, wrought iron weather vane and cresset beacon. C18 commandments board. C18 heavy baluster font. C19 gas lamp fittings still in use. VCH; 1908; Vol 3; p445. Buildings of England, Hampshire; Pevsner; 1966; p228.

Listing NGR: SU3864227116

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, The Victoria History of the County of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1908), 445
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, (1967), 228

National Grid Reference: SU 39731 27443

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 05:55:53.