List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1178610

Location

THE RECTORY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CambridgeshireEast CambridgeshireDistrict AuthorityStretham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRETHAM HIGH STREET TL 5174 (West Side)

24/20 The Rectory (formerly 5.2.52 listed under Front Street) - II*

Rectory. Possibly medieval but mainly late C17 or early C18 and later C18. Coursed clunch and reused limestone. Red brick and gault brick. Hipped roofs, plain tiled, with ridge stacks. Half H plan with medieval part forming a short wing on the north end. Main range two storeys and attic. Two later C19 dormers with hipped roof with bargeboarding. Original first and ground floor C18 openings now blocked or disturbed but shallow segmental header arches visible. Present fenestration at first floor is now of three twelve pane hung sashes. At ground floor a late C19 brick gabled porch. North wing also of two storeys and attic. Gault brick incorporating some reused dressed clunch and limestone. One similar dormer and two hung sashes, one of sixteen panes above a tripartite hung sash. The south crosswing is similar except that it does not incorporate stonework. The medieval part is on the north end of the north crosswing. Mainly coursed clunch. The roof is plain tiled, hipped, and probably C19. The front wall has a blocked early C18 first floor window with fleurons used in the blocking. At ground floor is a doorway in chamfered depressed arch and a loop window to the side. The rear wall was rebuilt in C19 in gault brick. Interior: Little of the medieval part is visible internally. Part has been sealed at both ground and first floors. It is thought that there was an undercroft with hall above. The features which indicate an early date are the thickness of the walls and the arch of the opening. There is a C19 staircase in the main part of the home. C19 plans and elevations for proposed alterations to the house, some of which were carried out, are at the Rectory.

Rev. S. Stitt. History of Stretham V.C.H. Cambs., Vol. IV

Listing NGR: TL5116874552

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)
Stitt, Reverend S, History of Stretham

National Grid Reference: TL 51168 74552

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 04:34:48.