List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1178419

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, HAWTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NottinghamshireNewark and SherwoodDistrict AuthorityCotham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 242656

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 74 NE COTHAM HAWTON ROAD (west side)

5/21 Church of St. Michael 16-1-67 G.V. II*

Parish Church, disused. C12, C14, C15, reduced in size, probably in ciB, partly rebuilt c.1832, turret erected 1890. Coursed rubble with ashlar dressings. Tiled roof with stone coped gables, that to the east being moulded either side of the ridge and at the base. The turret has an ashlar and lead base with timber supporting the roof and damaged weather vane. Nave and chancel under single roof, west turret with pyramidal roof, south porch. The church is set on a shallow plinth and is buttressed. The west wall has a 2-light window with cusping and triangular head. To the north of the south buttress is a small ashlar, brick and tile lean-to with wooden door. To the west of the north wall are two 3-light windows with cusping, triangular heads and hood moulds over. The east wall has an arched 3 light window with reticulated tracery, having a centre circle under the apex which contains 3 trefoils. There is a hood mould with gauged coursed rubble over. The south wall has 4 arched windows. The eastern most one has 3 lights with flowing tracery and a hood mould. The off-centre east window has 4 lights with panel tracery, cusping and hood mould. The off-centre west has 3 lights with flowing tracery, quatrefoils and hood mould. The western most window has 3 lights with cusping and is under a triangular arch with hood mould. The ashlar, coursed rubble and pantile porch has a stone coped parapet hiding the roof line. Over the entrance arch is a stone dated 1830. The interior porch doorway has a chamfered arch with hood mould over. The interior has to the east of the door a C14 piscina with cusped arch and crocketed hood mould with a single remaining label stop to the east and carved head as a finial. The west wall has a single corbel flanked by single larger corbels. Above is a small triangular headed opening. There is a C14 octagonal font. To the south wall are 2 C14 monuments, both partly hidden by the wall and raised floor. That to the east is decorated along its sides with lozenges containing shields and has a single column at each corner supporting the top. The second monument has quatrefoils and shields decorating the sides. There is an C18 kingpost roof, with some remains of C18 panelling to the wall.

Listing NGR: SK7942447616

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 79424 47616

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 04:34:40.