List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD HALL

List entry Number: 1178375

Location

THE OLD HALL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityAsfordby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189977

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASFORDBY MAIN STREET (North Side) SK 71 NW The Old Hall 2/4 14.7.53

GV II*

House, formerly manor house. c.1620, altered C18 and c.1875 by R W Johnson. Red brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings, Swithland slate roofs, and stone ridge stacks. Double-depth plan. plan. 2 storeys and attic; 7-window range. Central 6-panel door with overlight and moulded wood surround in late C19 porch between pair of off-set brick buttresses with limestone dressings. 12-pane sash windows to ground and 1st floors except for oculus to 1st floor centre. The sash windows all have stone surrounds belonging to original stone mullion and transom windows. Ironstone plinth with chamfered limestone coping, moulded 1st and 2nd floor string courses. Above 2nd floor string 3 stone-coped gables with kneelers each framing 3-light ovolo- moulded stone mullion window with hood mould. Late C19 offset angle buttresses. Side elevations have brick string course at 2nd floor level with brick dentils below and curved timber brackets to projecting eaves. Right side elevation has 2 windows to ground floor, that to left with original 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom, that to right with C18 cross window. Left side elevation has similar window to ground floor right and 3-light casement window to ground floor left with stone lintel and pair of 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion cellar windows to left of centre. Rear elevation has central, chamfered stone doorway with 4-centred head in later 2-storey gabled porch and 2-light ovolo-moulded stone mullion and transom windows to ground and 1st floors except for that to ground floor far right and a number to 1st floor which have wood mullion and transom windows and 1 sash window to 1st floor right of centre. Rear elevation has limestone quoins. Interior: Hall has re-set Jacobean timber archway to stair with Tuscan pilasters, round-headed arch and bracketed qadrooned frieze. Sitting room has Jacobean panelling and overmantel with blank round-headed arched panels. Stone fireplace with 4-centred arched head and cut spandrels. Some cupboard doors upstairs with Jacobean panels and butterfly hinges. Another stone fireplace to upper room with chamfer and 4-centred head. Timber spiral back stair with octagonal newel post. Roof has principals with 2 tiers of collars. Buildings of England, Leics, 1984, p.77.

Listing NGR: SK7068419031

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 77

National Grid Reference: SK 70684 19031

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 11:15:26.