List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1178132

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthoritySwepstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187988

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWEPSTONE CHURCH STREET (west side) SK 31 SE 5/96 Church of St. Peter 24.11.65 II* GV Church of C14, C15 and C19. W tower, nave with aisles, and chancel. Mainly of C14, C15 clerestory, tower cased 1842 with ashlar, chancel rebuilt in 1869 and S porch in 1870. Coursed rubble and ashlar. Plain tiled roof with stone coped gables to chancel and porch, battlements to nave, aisles and tower. Buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs overall. Windows mainly have hood-moulds with carved head label stops. Tower of 2 stages with Perp lights to belfry, W window with cusped Y tracery, small W door and pinnacles. N aisle W window with Intersected tracery, otherwise renewed Curvilinear. Blocked N door. S aisle E window with Intersected tracery, otherwise Y. S door with hood-mould. Curvilinear style chancel windows. Interior: 4 bay arcades with double chamfered arches, outer dying into wall. Restored low-pitched roof of 4 bays: cambered moulded tie beams, wall-pieces and braces on renewed stone corbels. Flat-topped 2-light clerestory windows with Perp tracery. Chancel with boarded arched roof. C19 pews, boxed in aisles. Finely carved choir stalls of 1886 and pulpit of 1887. Organ with painted front pipes. C19 stained glass in E and SE windows with NE window by Powell, Highgate, c1930. C17-C19 wall monuments, alabaster tomb chest with effigy of William Humfrey of 1591 and mediaeval effigy of a Lady, wearing a wimple, on embattled arcaded tomb chest decorated with shields within quatrefoils. Small cusp-headed niche in S aisle.

Listing NGR: SK3678510565

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 36785 10565

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Aug-2014 at 05:03:31.