List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1178112

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SomersetSedgemoorDistrict AuthoritySpaxton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 269392

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST13NE SPAXTON CP

AISHOLT

1/131 Church of All Saints

29.3.63

GV II*

Anglican church. C14, C15; C16 work; late C19 restoration. Random rubble, slate roofs, coped verges with finials. Nave, chancel with north vestry, south aisle with south porch, west tower. Perpendicular. Embattled 2- stage tower with diagonal buttresses, stair turret, 2-light bell- chamber windows; clock; 3-light west window. Three bay nave, 2 and 3-light square-headed windows. Gabled 2-bay aisle, diagonal buttresses, 2-light pointed head window, 3-light square-headed window. Single bay chancel, C19 fenestration, 3-light east window. Gabled C19 vestry. Benched porch, stoup; shafted outer door opening; medieval inner door. Plastered interior on flag floors, chancel with an encaustic pavement. Ceiled wagon roof to nave; C19 wagon roof to chancel with ribs and bosses; plaster wagon roof to aisle; C19 wagon roof under tower, ribs and bosses. Chancel with moulded corbels; tls two bay arcade to aisle. tl4lCl5 octagonal font; medieval chest; C14 piscina to chancel; restored C17 hatchment; C19 pews, though one earlier bench end survives at west end; C19 pulpit and choir stalls; 2 charity plaques by the tower arch. C17 memorial slabs to nave floor; 2 C19 wall monuments by good of Bristol and Reeves of Bath; some C20 brass plaques. Fragments of C15 glass to west window, C19 stained glass. (Pevsner N. Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST1937135632

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset - Date: 1958

National Grid Reference: ST 19371 35632

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Sep-2014 at 03:14:07.