List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1178096

Location

THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityMoreton Corbet and Lee Brockhurst

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Oct-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 260065

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 5224-5324 MORETON CORBET C.P. PRESTON BROCKHURST

14/71 The Old Manor House 28.10.60 (formerly listed as Old Manor including terrace wall and gate-piers)

GV I

Shown on O.S. map as Preston Hall. Small country house. Circa 1650, for Mr Wingfield of Shrewsbury, with addition of c.1700. Yellow/grey sandstone ashlar; graded slate roof. Shallow E-plan with addition at rear. 2 storeys and attic over basement. Chamfered plinth, 2 dripmoulds, and parapeted gables with moulded copings. Pair of stone ridge stacks and integral lateral stone stack to left, each consisting of 3 square shafts with moulded bases and cornices, and external stone stack in angle at rear consisting of 3 circular shafts with curious draught vents at base of each. 3 gabled bays. 5-window front; 2-, 3- and 4-light double-chamfered stone mullioned and transomed windows; central attic window stepped over boarded balcony door with chamfered surround and left-hand attic window with small rectangular window to right. Central 2-storey porch with chamfered plinth, moulded set-forwards to first floor and parapet, and parapet with square-section balusters and moulded rail. Nail-studded boarded door with strap hinges and chamfered reveals, bolection surround and c.1700 stone Doric doorcase consisting of fluted pilasters, entablature with central pendant and breaking forward over pilasters, and broken triangular pediment with cartouche in tympanum with carved raven. 2-bay left-hand return front with 3-light windows. Rear: central c.1700 gabled wing. 3-bays; double- chamfered cross windows. Moulded string course, and continuous dripstone over first-floor windows. Interior: almost complete C17 and c.1700 fittings with some late C19 alterations. Entrance hall: late C19 fireplace with bolection moulded surround, flanking pilasters, pulvinated frieze with oak leaf ornament, dentil cornice and Elephant and Castle above; wainscot panelling. Left-hand ground-floor room: mid- to late C17 moulded stone fireplace (with smaller inserted C19 fireplace). Kitchen: large open fireplace with large stone cornice. Dining room (in rear wing): complete c.1700 fittings including bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and moulded cornice; bolection-moulded fireplace with pulvinated frieze and cornice. Staircase: c.1700; 4 flights with landings around square well; closed string, twisted balusters, ramped moulded handrail, and large newels composed of 4 twisted balusters; ramped bolection- moulded dado panelling with twisted half-balusters at intervals. Two sections of former mid-C17 staircase survive; in cellar with closed string, splat balusters, moulded grip rail, and square foot newel post with chamfered corners and at top of c.1700 staircase with closed string, winders and landings, splat balusters, moulded grip rail, and moulded newel posts with pierced and globe finials. Short section of C17 staircase to attic with splat balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel post. C18 back staircase with landings, square newel posts, and C18 wainscot panelling. Left-hand bedroom: C19 fireplace with moulded surround and moulded cornice. Central bedroom: divided. C.1700 fireplace with bolection- moulded surround and moulded cornice. Right-hand bedroom: small fireplace with bolection-moulded surround, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. Bedroom in rear wing: complete c,1700 fittings. Bolection-moulded dado panelling with dado rail. Fireplace with bolection-moulded surround, pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice,and pilastered overmantel with central panel and deep entablature with pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice. False cupboard in bathroom over stairs (cf Micklewood Farmhouse, Longnor C.P.). Roof: collar and tie-beam trusses with queen struts and V-struts; staggered purlins with wind braces. General internal features included timber framed partition walls, chamfered beams with ogee stops, and C17 and C18 boarded doors and 1700 doors with raised and fielded panels. Richard Gough describes in his Antiquityes and Memoryes of the Parish of Myddle (1701) how Sir Vincent Corbet had to sell some of his lands to raise money to pay compensation to Parliament for his support of the Royalists during the Civil War. Mr Wingfield bought land in Preston Brockhurst and "..... pulled down the hall, and built there a fair hall of freestone, where his son now dwelleth". The house and land returned to the corbets in 1743. The house stands high above the hamlet of Preston Brockhurst and forms a group with a series of walls, gate piers and outbuildings (q.v.). Richard Gough, Ed. D. Hey, The History of Myddle, Penguin (1981); Mrs Frances Stackhouse Acton, The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire, Leake and Evans (1868), p.53; H. E. Forrest, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), pp.127-8; B.O.E., p.231.

Listing NGR: SJ5365124606

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Stackhouse Acton, F - Title: The Castles and Old Mansions of Shropshire - Date: 1868 - Page References: 53
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Forrest, H E - Title: Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners - Date: 1924 - Page References: 127-8
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Gough, R - Title: Antiquityes and Memoryes of the Parish of Myddle - Date: 1701
  4. Book  Reference - Author: Gough and Hey - Title: The History of Myddle - Date: 1981
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Shropshire - Date: 1958 - Page References: 231

National Grid Reference: SJ 53651 24606

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 01:09:14.