List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD GRANGE AND ATTACHED STABLE WING

List entry Number: 1178068

Location

THE OLD GRANGE AND ATTACHED STABLE WING, ASTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHinckley and BosworthDistrict AuthorityBurbage

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Mar-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP4492-4592 BURBAGE ASTON LANE (south side)

17/2 The Old Grange and attached stable wing 8.3.63

GV II*

House. C16 or early C17 house with kitchen wing to rear dated 1697. Restored in the C19 and C20. Timber framed with painted plaster infill panels; plain tile roofs with tall central gable; very large painted brick end chimney breast to left with paired C19 tall brick stacks above; red brick paired and shafted stacks to right of centre. 2 storeys with attic in gable: framing of 3 square panels to eaves level and straight braces. Irregular fenestration with 5-light centre oriel bay under apex of gable and a similar window below on first floor with gabled hood over. Both have ovolo-moulded mullions, stand on heavy brackets and would appear to be original. Triple casement windows on both floors to right; 8-light ovolo-moulded mullion and transom bay oriel to left with shallow pentice hood over, and 3-light square bay oriel with shallow pentice hood over to left of centre. Square lattice windows throughout. Half-glazed doors under small pentice hoods on brackets to left and right. Long C19 red brick stable range to the right. The rear wing is also brick, with chequer and diaper patterns. Interior: Cross-passage plan. The Hall has a floor tile dated 1673, and the parlour has a fireplace dated 1608. Hall, parlour and best room on first floor are panelled. A staircase with turned balusters leads to the first floor and attic. B.O.E. pp. 117 - 8.

Listing NGR: SP4440092657

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 117-8

National Grid Reference: SP 44400 92657

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 07:45:38.