List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

List entry Number: 1177977

Location

CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireHinckley and BosworthDistrict AuthoritySheepy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188097

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 30 SE SHEEPY MAIN STREET (north side), Sibson

1789/4/101 Church of St Botolph

7.11.66 II*

Church. Partly late C13-early C14, but mostly at 1726, restored in 1872. Partly coursed and squared limestone, partly brick with stone dressings. Plain tiled roof West tower entirely of 1726: 3 stages of ashlar with moulded cornice and parapet with urn finials at angles. West door in rusticated architrave, and round arched Y-traceried window in 2nd stage. Oculus in 3rd stage over door, and also in lower stage to north and south. Nave is brick with stone dressings. The 3 roundheaded windows were given geometric tracery in 1872. Parapet. Fabric of chancel is medieval, and the windows have interesting tracery of c1300. One C15 window of31ights south, and a small priests door. Inside, wide nave with queen post roof with collar and bracing. Chancel arch is double chamfered with semi octagonal responds. Chancel screen of1910, tripartite with ogee tracery, in simple, stripped down lines. In the chancel, blocked low-side window to south, and sedilia with cylindrical shafts with ring moulding. Fittings: pews made up from C18 box pews in 1898. Stained glass in chancel SE and NE windows, depicts the Light of the World, the Good Shepherd and Saints Paul and Barnabus in medieval style. In the chancel, stone recumbent effigy of a man holding his heart in his hands, beneath a canopy and a brass, 1532, to John Moore, a priest, with huge outstretched hands and double curved scrolls of text reaching up to a small Christ figure, also with open arms, seated on a rainbow above.

Listing NGR: SK3541500910

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 35415 00910

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2014 at 07:19:16.