List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PITCHFORD HALL

List entry Number: 1177907

Location

PITCHFORD HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityPitchford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259787

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PITCHFORD C.P. PITCHFORD SJ 5204 - 5304 12/129 Pitchford Hall 29.1.52 GV I

Country house. Circa 1560-70 for Adam Ottley with a probably C14 or C15 core and minor C17, C18 and early C19 alterations and additions; restored, remodelled and extended in the 1870's and 1880's by George Devey (1820-86) for Charles Cotes, and further restored in the late C20. Timber framed with rendered infill panels (with red ochre colouring on the north front - probably part of Devey's restoration) on coursed red sandstone rubble plinth, squared and coursed to east; stone slate roof. E-plan around courtyard to south, service wing and courtyard to west. 2 storeys and attic, over basement to east; jettied first floors with moulded bressummers, cable-moulded shafts to first floor in gable ends, and gables have cambered tie-beams with carved vine ornament; 5 brick ridge stacks, 3 external lateral brick stacks with grey sandstone ashlarlower parts, and integral brick end stack to west, all with clustered star-shaped brick shafts. Framing: square panels (4 from sole-plate to wall-plate) with diagonal struts forming lozenge patterns, close studding beneath some windows; some close studding with middle rail and short straight corner braces. Late C19 wooden mullioned and transomed windows with leaded casements. South front: 5-window recessed centre withprojecting gabled wings; 2-storey gabled projections in re-entrant angles with carved quatrefoil frieze to first-floor middle rail; central 2-storey porch has 4-centred arched doorway with pair of half- glazed doors, and first floor with cross-window and carved quatrefoil frieze to middle rail, and probably C17 louvred bellcote in gable above with flanking carved scrolls, diagonally-placed square clock, and small shaped gablet above (finial missing). Recessed garden seat with chamfered arch in stone ground floor wall of late C19 addition to west of left-hand gabled wing. North (entrance) front: near symmetrical C16 range to left with short gabled projections and large stacks flanking central 2-storey gabled porch with first floor oriel window and chamfered ogee-arched doorway with 2 boarded doors and approached by 8 stone steps; asymmetrical late C19 remodelling of C18 or early C19 range to right in a matching style. 5-window east front with 4 gables of differing size, high plinth, and central probably C18 two-storey bow window remodelled in late C19. Service wing to west forming one side of a service courtyard together with the west wing of the E-plan part and a retaining wall (qv); one storey rendered brick and slate roofed lean-to adjoining both walls of house with glazing bar sashes, probably reset carved red sandstone shield with foliage decoration, and short open loggia with chamfered painted stone posts; wing returning to south at west end has a coursed sandstone rubble ground floor with triple segmental arches; stairs within corridor lead up to a C19 timber framed service porch opposite stable block (qv), with chamfered red brick ashlar plinth, stone slate roof, moulded bressummer to gable end, moulded barge boards, and nail-studded boarded door with decorative wrought iron strap hinges. Interior: largely C17 and late C19 in a Neo- Tudor style; hall and dining room with late C19 panelling, moulded cross-beamed ceilings and Tudor -arched stone fireplaces; drawing room with early C17 fittings including panelling, fluted Ionic pilasters, fluted frieze, moulded cross-beamed ceiling with thin ribbed plasterwork and heraldic devices in panels, and stone Tudor-arched fireplace with carved spandrels and open triangular-pedimented overmantel; ground-floor rooms in west wing of E-shaped part have C17 fireplaces with elaborately decorated overmantels; library with fireplace dated 1623; two mid-C18 fireplaces in bedrooms said to be by Pritchard, with plain and lugged architraves, friezes with masks and carved foliage decoration, and moulded cornices; L-shaped staircase of c.l700 with closed string, turned balusters and square newel post; C18 dog-leg staircase in east wing with closed string, turned balusters, ramped handrail, square newel posts, and dado panelling; early C19 staircase in service wing with stick balusters. Internal fittings of interest throughout. The remains of a former probably C15 two-bay crown-post roof are visible in the roof space over the west wing of the E-plan part (see cambered tie beams and mortices). George Devey's alterations included moving the main entrance to the north side of the house, removing the wall formerly enclosing the south side of the courtyard, and creating the present garden with its summer house (qv) and retaining walls (qv). Pitchford Hall has a very complex architectural history for which space does not permit a detailed description. V.C.H., Vol. VIII, p.119-20; B.O.E. pp.227-8; H. Avary Tipping, English Homes, Period IV, Vol. I, late Stuart 1649-1714, Country Life (1924) pp.1-13; Derek Hudson, The Story of Pitchford (unpublished).

Listing NGR: SJ5277004236

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hudson, D, The Story of Pitchford
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1906), 119-20
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 227-8
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1924), 1-13

National Grid Reference: SJ 52782 04237

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:51:15.