List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

List entry Number: 1177875

Location

CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireCharnwoodDistrict AuthoritySwithland

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189143

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWITHLAND MAIN STREET SK 51 SE 4/87 Church of St. Leonard 1.6.66

GV II* Church of C13 and later. Granite and slate rubble stone with Swithland slate roof. W. tower of 3 stages, nave, N. porch, S. aisle with E. porch, and chancel. Lower part of tower C13, upper Perp with 2 W. clasping buttresses, small C19 W. door, original 1-light above, several slits, 4 restored 2-light bell openings and restored crocketted pinnacles and battlements. 2 storey C19 stair turret on S. side. Nave has C19 N. porch and C13 arcades originally similar but N., now blocked, was heightened later in Century. N.W. arch remains similar to S. arcade. Now blocked it leads to N. porch. Arcades of 4 bays, S. has circular piers and abaci supporting double chamfered arches. 3 bull's-eyes windows above. ½ bull's eye remains abutting first of higher N. arcade blocked arches. These similar to S. Upper part of Nave C16/17 timber framing in 4 bays. Wall pieces and curved braces from renewed stone corbels support collar and cranked tie beam trusses with lower angle struts. Curved wind braces to single purlins. Heavily restored chancel. Arch double chamfered, one dying into corbels. 2 C19 flat-headed 2-lights either side with C19 E. window of Geometric type tracery. Stained glass of 1867. Restored, partly renewed, single purlin roof with wall pieces and curved braces supporting collar beams, thence king struts. Wrought-iron alter rail. S. aisle built as Danvers Chapel in 1727. 4 bay double purlin king post tie beam truss roof with angle struts to purlins (upper from king post). Date on E. tie beam. C19 E. porch. 3 C19 S. windows of Geometric type tracery. Stained glass of 1864 (Heygate Memorial) in SSW, otherwise 2 heraldic glass lunettes, one dated 1849. 1 C18 half round window remains with W. window blocked. 6 hatchments and helmet, sword and 2 metal gauntlets. C17 and C18 slate and brass monuments and pedigree of Danvers Bulter family, including outstanding example of mid C18 to children to Sir John Danvers, 'a tour de force of the slate workers' (Pevsner). Mid C15 brass; organ originally by John Snetzler, of London, 1765, with Gothic pinnacled front; C18 white marble font; remains of possibly C17 carving in some pew backs. On N. wall C18 wall monument and 2 C19 Curvilinear type tracery windows. Triple chamfered W. arch with small round arched 1-light above and C19 stained glass in small W. window.

Listing NGR: SK5549412826

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 55494 12826

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 02:16:57.