List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1177844

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHAPEL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityWymondham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jan-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189906

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8418 - 8518 WYMONDHAM CHURCH LANE

(east side) 14/149 Church of St. Peter 1.1.68 G.V. I

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1864, further restored and vestry added by Goddard and Son, 1867, nave restored by R. H. Carpenter, 1873. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone ashlar with ashlar dressings with patterned tile and aluminium roofs. Chamfered and moulded plinths, ashlar quoins. Moulded coped parapets and gables with cross finials and single stone lateral stack. West tower with spire, nave with clerestory, north aisle, north transept, vestry, chancel, south transept, south aisle, south porch. Unbuttressed west tower, C13 and C14, 4 stages, has plinth, 3 string courses, fleuron frieze, with 4 gargoyles and crenellated parapet. Set back octagonal spire with 2 tiers of gabled lucarnes with double lancets, the upper tier with crosses, finial and weathercock. First stage has to west a C13 style single lancet, and to south a similar smaller lancet. Second stage has to west and to south a single C13 lancet, that to south flanked to left by a sundial. Third stage has on each side a double lancet bell opening with hood mould, those to west and north having clock dials, early C19. Fourth stage is ashlar with 4 cusped ogee double lancet bell openings with panel tracery, moulded reveals and hood moulds. Clerestory, C15, 4 bays, has on each side 4 ogee triple lancets with panel tracery and segmental arched heads with hood moulds. East gable has a double lancet in the same style, and gable with cross. North aisle, 2 bays, has 2 angle buttresses and coved eaves. North side has to west, ogee headed C14 blocked doorway with hood mould and mask stops, flanked to east by a memorial tablet, 1849 and beyond, to east, by an ogee triple lancet with panel tracery and hood mould. West end has a restored Decorated ogee triple lancet with hood mould and mask stops. North transept has to north a C15 4 light ogee lancet with billeted transom and panel tracery, moulded reveal and hood mould. East side has a C15 triple ogee lancet with flat head and hood mould. Vestry has to north a C13 style double lancet, 1894, with hood mould, and to east a similar double lancet. Chancel north side has to west a late C15 ogee triple lancet with panel tracery, moulded reveal and hood mould. East end has 2 angle buttresses, chamfered sill band and gable with cross. Geometrical 5 light lancet, 1864, with moulded reveal and hood mould. South side, 2 bays, has sill band and an off-centre buttress flanked to west by a plain chamfered doorway. Beyond, on either side, a C15 triple lancet with panel tracery, moulded reveal and hood mould. South transept has to south a late C15 triple lancet with ogee central light, segmental pointed head and hood mould. West side has a restored Tudor arched doorway with hood mould and mask stops. South aisle, 2 bays, has to east a C15 transomed triple lancet with ogee central light, with 4 centred arched head and hood mould. West end has an early C14 double lancet with Y tracery and hood mould. South porch has a restored chamfered and moulded doorway with octagonal shafts, hood mould and mask stops, and a pair of iron gates, 1899. Interior has stone benches and common rafter roof with C19 hanging lamp. South doorway, C14, has deep filleted moulding and hood mould. Tower chamber has stained glass west window, 1864, and iron spiral staircase, 1868. Nave arcades, C14 and C15, 3 bays, have square piers set diagonally, each with 4 half round projections, and half octagonal responds. North east pier has a capital with heads, south east pier has a capital with angels. The remaining piers have octagonal capitals. Double chamfered and rebated arches have hood moulds with good mask stops. Restored C15 roof with arch braces and wall shafts on mask corbels. East window has patterned stained glass. North aisle east end has a C13 double chamfered and rebated archway with fillet moulded responds, hood mould and mask stops. Windows have patterned stained glass. Restored roof has mask corbels, C14 and C19. North transept has patterned stained glass windows and low pitched roof on corbels, 1866. South aisle east end has a C13 archway of the same design as that in the north aisle, patterned stained glass windows and lean-to roof with arch braces, 1895, on mask corbels. South transept has to north east a C13 squint. C19 ceiling. Chancel has double chamfered and rebated late C13 arch with hood mould and mask stops, and keeled responds with capitals with dogtooth bands. East end has tiled reredos and stained glass window by A. Gibbs, 1864. South side has to east, a C13 chamfered piscina and aumbry and C13 sedilia with round shafts. Stained glass window by A. Gibbs, 1881. Arch-braced roof with traceried spandrels, and wall shafts, 1867, on mask corbels. Fittings include octagonal C15 font with saltire cross and quatrefoil panels, C14 triple arched stone altar, stalls, 1867, panelled benches with poppyheads, 1873, pierced traceried octagonal pulpit, 1894, and donations board, 1850, and lectern C19. Early C18 carved cupboard and panel, C18 chest with drawers. Monuments include large effigy of a knight, late C13, chest tomb with shields in quatrefoil panels and incised slab, to Sir Thomas Berkley and wife, 1488. Brass, 1521. Rolls of honour, 1919 and 1945. 2 C20 brasses.

Listing NGR: SK8515718653

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 85157 18653

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 11:51:20.