List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1177814

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireNorth West LeicestershireDistrict AuthorityAppleby Magna

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Nov-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 187892

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

APPLEBY MAGNA CHURCH STREET SK 30 NW (east side) 6/4 Church of St. Michael 24.11.65 II* GV Church, stonework mainly C14. Nave of five bays with identical N and S aisles, N chancel chapel and chancel. tower with angle buttresses with set-offs, bell-openings, battlements, and recessed spire. Slate roof to chancel, rest of lead. Windows have reticulated tracery. W door surround rebuilt. Interior: plaster vaults added and walls stuccoed and painted in 1827. W gallery, 1837, oak front similar in design to contemporary, complete set of box pews. Thus also stone font. Remains of early C19 glass in upper lights of N and S aisle windows. Those of N aisle contain 7 fragments of C14 stained glass whilst those of S aisle contain medallions copying these. In chancel double alabaster recumbent tomb of C14. Wall monuments of C17-C19. E window stained glass signed by Lavers, Barraud and Westlake, 1879. Pulpit dated 1877. Fine set of C19 wall bracket lamps originally using Colza oil. Pevsner.

Listing NGR: SK3150209850

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 31502 09850

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Apr-2014 at 03:05:41.