List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GOLDING

List entry Number: 1177600

Location

GOLDING

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityCound

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 259748

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

COUND C.P. GOLDING SJ 50 SW 6/92 Golding 29.1.52 GV II* Farmhouse. Mid- to late C18 around probably early C17 core, and wing dated 1668, built for Thomas Langley. Red brick, C17 wing in English bond with red sandstone ashlar dressings; plain tile roofs. Shallow U-plan with projecting gabled cross-wings; centre range and left-hand cross-wing of the C18 and the right-hand cross-wing dated 1668. Three storeys with 2-storey and attic cross-wings. Left-hand C18 part with chamfered plinth, right-hand C17 wing with moulded stone plinth and quoins, plat bands, square datestone above first-floor windows in right- hand cross-wing inscribed: T L Parapet and parapeted 1668 gables, stone coped to C17 wing; flat-roofed dormers with 2-light casements to return fronts and rear; large brick ridge stack off-centre to left with C20 brick top and external brick lateral stack to right with stone quoins and C20 brick top stage. 2:2:2 bays; 16-pane glazing bar sashes with stone lintels, central second-floor 18-pane sash and 18-pane attic sashes to cross-wings; first-floor left-hand sash has been dropped, probably in the late C19,to accommodate inconsistent floor heights with an inserted rendered wooden lintel; second bay from left with painted imitation sashes; central door with 6 flush panels; late C18 porch with unfluted Roman Doric columns supporting reeded dosserets with dentil cornices, and open triangular pediment with arched tympanum and dentil cornice; flanking 6-pane windows, probably inserted in late C19 or C20 (see soldier course to head). 2-bay return fronts, right- hand with 16-pane sashes to left and blocked windows to right. Rear of 2:3:2 bays. C18 lead downpipes with moulded rainwater heads. Kitchen block adjoining at south-east corner: C18; red brick on coursed red sandstone rubble plinth,with plain tile roof; one storey and attic; integral brick end stack to left; 3-light segmental-headed wooden casement to front; gable end to right with 3-light segmental- headed wooden attic casement and 4 steps up to segmental-headed boarded door; lean-to brick porch with parapeted verge and segmental brick archway. Interior: mainly late C17, early C18, and late C18 or early C19; ground-floor front room to right: panelled with moulded cornice; C17 corner fireplace with tiles, C18 bolection-moulded surround, frieze and cornice, and pilasters flanking panel above; first-floor front room to right: C18 bolection-moulded panelling with moulded cornice, C17 corner fireplace with C18 bolection-moulded surround and C18 cast iron grate; fireplaces and doorways in ground- and first-floor front rooms to right have C17 chamfered wooden and stone surrounds with ogee stops beneath later C18 and C19 details, the first-floor fireplace with moulded depressed arch; first-floor right-hand room at rear with small C18 fireplace with moulded cornice and cast iron grate; central first- floor room has C18 fireplace with fluted pilasters, husk garlands, frieze, dentil cornice and cast iron grate; C18 fireplace in first-floor left- hand room too; kitchen in main block to left: early C19 fireplace surround with panelled sides, segmental arch and moulded cornice; late C17 dog-leg staircase in right-hand cross-wing with lozenge decoration, closed string, turned balusters, moulded handrail, and square newel posts; early C19 back staircase with stick balusters and turned newels; late C18 or early C19 panelled doors, panelled shutters, and moulded architraves throughout. The Langley family acquired the township of Golding in 1606 and it was probably Thomas Langley who added the wing in 1668 (see datestone). The left-hand part is probably an C18 rebuilding of an earlier house (possibly of soon after 1606) - see large stack with large open fireplace, and inconsistencies between floor levels and C18 windows. Golding is particularly notable as a largely unaltered and well-preserved large farmhouse within a good hamlet group [terrace walls, stable, dovecote, tithe barn, cottage etc. (q.v.)]. V.C.H., Vol.VIII, p.62; B.o.E., p.132; H.E. Forrest FLS, Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, 1924, Pp.92-6.



Listing NGR: SJ5437103444

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E , Some Old Shropshire Houses and their Owners, (1924), 92-6
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Shropshire, (1908), 62
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958), 132

National Grid Reference: SJ 54371 03444

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2014 at 02:16:43.