List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1177524

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, SOMERBY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LeicestershireMeltonDistrict AuthorityKnossington and Cold Overton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 189873

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 8008 - 8108 KNOSSINGTON SOMERBY ROAD

(west side) 20/116 Church of St. Peter

1.1.68 II*

Parish church. Late C13, C14, restored 1830. Restored, chancel rebuilt and organ chamber added in 1882 by A. W. Blomfield. Coursed and squared ironstone and limestone with ashlar dressings and lead and plain tile roofs. Chamfered plinths and eaves. Coped gables. West tower, nave with clerestory, north aisle and vestry, chancel, south aisle, south porch. Unbuttressed west tower, C13, 3 stages, has deep plinth, 2 string courses, coved eaves band with masks and 4 gargoyles, plain parapet and pyrmidal roof with wind vane. First stage has to west, double lancet with quatrefoil head. Second stage has, to south, clock. Third stage has on each side a cusped ogee double lancet bell opening with panel tracery. All the openings have hood moulds and stops. Clerestory, 2 bays, has on each side 2 restored Geometrical double lancets. North aisle and vestry, 4 bays, has single central and single corner buttresses, 4 setoffs. West end has a restored Geometrical double lancet. North side has to east, a C13 lancet. To west, a blocked C13 doorway with moulded imposts, flanked to left by an untraceried C14 triple. lancet with flat head, and to right by a C14 ogee headed Geometrical double lancet. East end has a C19 plain double lancet. All the openings have hood moulds. Chancel east end has graduated plain triple lancet with linked hood mould, and coped gable with cross. South side has a plain double lancet with hood mould. South aisle, 4 bays, has off-centre south side buttress and a similar buttress to the west corner. South side has to east, chamfered C19 doorway and beyond, plain C19 double lancet, both with hood moulds. To west, beyond the south porch, a C14 Geometrical double lancet. To east of the porch, a C19 reticulated triple lancet with flat head. West end has a C19 cusped double lancet. All these openings have hood moulds. C19 south porch has coped gable with kneelers and cross. Double chamfered and rebated doorway with responds and hood mould. East side has a single chamfered lancet. Interior has a common rafter roof. Double chamfered and rebated inner doorway with chamfered responds and hood mould. C13 double chamfered and rebated tower arch has octagonal responds. Tower chamber west window has C19 stained glass. North and south arcades, C13, 3 bays, have octagonal piers and responds with water holding bases and abaci with nailhead. Double chamfered and rebated arches with hood moulds and stops. Low pitched C19 roof with arch braces on corbels. North and south aisles have lean-to roofs with arch braces. North aisle has west and eastern windows with stained glass, 1889. East end has an unglazed C19 triple lancet containing organ pipes. South aisle east window with stained glass, 1881. West end has stained glass window, 1889. Double chamfered chancel arch, C14, has hood mould and octagonal imposts on corbels. North side has segmental pointed organ recess and organ, 1882. East end has Perpendicular style panelled, traceried dado and reredos, 1912. East window has shafts and hood mould, and stained glass c.1879. South side has 2 bay arcade with octagonal pier with nail head band to abacus, segmental arches and hood mould. Traceried panelled Perpendicular style screen, 1912. Pointed barrel vaulted roof with moulded ribs. Fittings include C13 hemispherical lobed font on round stem with 4 minor shafts. Late C16 semi-circular marble font with fluted projecting ribs. C17 carved chest and 2 chairs. Late C19 traceried panelled stalls and desks with poppyheads, matching skeleton pulpit, plain benches, brass eagle lectern. 3 coronet-shaped multiple oil lamps. Donations board, 1826. Notice regarding restoration of 1830. Memorials include marble and alabaster tablet, 1843. Marble and alabaster war memorial tablets, 1918 and 1945. Brass, 1924, in alabaster surround. 3 C20 brasses.

Listing NGR: SK8008308703

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 80083 08703

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 10:29:54.